CHASE CASE #2

Looks like the Shamrock TX drive I made last night was a good call. I am going to head down toward Childress TX and have lunch while I wait for the 18Z data. Moisture looks better down there and I think that should be close to where the stationary front / OFB are going to setup this afternoon. If this thing times just right we will be in the RR quadrant of the jet streak as well.

Any chance we can get west Texas mesonet surface observations?

I am driving back to Emporia. I don't think I have time to get to South Dakota so I will stay in central Kansas untill I have further information.

Left Springfield,Mo about an hour ago headed for the Shamrock,TX good north south roads.

Don't forget to take Charlie with you!!!:)

IF I WASN'T IN CHARGE OF THIS VIRTUAL CASE I WOULD BE GOING OVER THE 12Z DATA WITH YOU IN OUR FAVORITE PLACE. . .ROGER MILLS COUNTY

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope the new data release will give me more ammo to make a decision to move from Pampa. I'll sit tight until early afternoon. Should be some atomic bomb supercells in this charged up atmosphere. Just need to get on that boundary wherever it ends up.
Think the fuse has been lighted.....

Can we get a sounding for El Dorado/Emporia and Manhattan? Looks like we're gonna have a few chasers in Emporia shortly.

12Z TOPEKA:

6o1m9x.gif

Waking up in Blackwell, OK. Sitting and looking over data. Kinda in between north and south targets. Going to have to make a decision by about 10:00 since it about a 5 hour drive to Amarillo. Grrr....I hate making these decisions. May head a bit southwest so that I'm a bit more halfway between north and southern targets. Gonna head to Seiling, OK to grab some breakfast and chew over data. Did I mention that I hate making these decisions?

On a side-note: Grand Rapids just got its first significant snowfall of the season, and I just got in from taking a hike. It is a slightly surreal feeling to go slogging through nearly foot-deep snow on the trails out at Seidman Park, then head home and mull over a target area. Not that I have any reason to change my location until the 15Z data comes in. Woodward is a great staging area for a storm chase on a snowy December day.

I just got in on this scenario, after looking at the 00z data I had chosen to set up near Liberal KS. I just found out that Bob H. was only about an hour and half away we talked about getting together later in the day if possible.

Now looking at the 12z I think I will stay put until further data comes out.

Got out of the hotel in Springfield around 8:30 a.m. and made the decision to initially head for Coldwater, KS. Should be there by 3:30 or so. Along the way I will re-evaluate as more data becomes available, and will have opportunities to jog more north into central KS if that looks better. Despite the moderate risk, I have a feeling that the best action with the more northern target area will be north of there, in Nebraska and SD. That might have been a play if I had gone to Kansas City, but I went to Springfield. I do wonder if I should have just gone down I-44 to the Texas Panhandle - it's farther but not that much different in driving time. But I will stick with Coldwater and try to take advantage of the excellent directional shear in southern KS.

Back