CHASE CASE 4

I was actually thinking of this event. I remembered a big day in Eastern NM for 2006 or 2007. There is a reports thread here at storm track with photographs of this day if my memory serves me right.

Thanks Matt!
I got some nice structure in OK/KS. No 'naders but a nice storm or two. Based on the 23z radar, between 20z-23z I woulda known the storm in TX wasnt gonna happen and saw the storms up to the north go up.

Following the Cell north on 206. Caught two tornadoes so far!!!! Bob You disappeared on me this time.

I'm not sure what happened. All I know is, I was headed for the cell moving out of Artesia--could see the dang wall cloud and everything--then suddenly, I saw a radar update that I either missed or else that arrived while I was in the act of hitting the "post reply" button, along with a slew of storm reports I never saw until after the fact, and I looked up, and Shazzam! the storm I was approaching had somehow jumped half a county and was moving off to the north.

Well, of course I barreled after it and caught some action, but I'm tellin' ya, these virtual chases are messing with my head. It didn't help when you got out of the car and started walking south toward Lovington earlier, Kurt. I never saw a man walk so fast--you had to be doing 70. I blinked twice and did a double-take, and by then you had already disappeared over the horizon. I'm thinking I need to find me some really good tranquilizers, because I can feel my sanity slipping.

My avatar is actually from this day.

I didn't plan to chase this day till morning of and ended bagging 3 tornadoes with only GPS and no internet or nowcasting. Nice slow moving storms and I dont think I had any rain fall on me till well after dark. That was a great day, but still wasn't the best of March 2007.

Chase Report - with photos and video

Ahhhh, too bad I was in bed for all the last updates:) I was in Morton,Tx at 15Z ready to go west in NM, maybe I would have been ready to intercept the Arch,NM tornado.
Thanks Matt for this nice case!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just catching up on the updates now, and don't think I would have gotten a tube on this chase. Even though I was in Clovis when things got going, my hunch as I went through the updates was to go after the storm that went up NW of Clovis, so gotta think I would have been suckered north and missed the tubes to the south.

I'm not sure what happened. All I know is, I was headed for the cell moving out of Artesia--could see the dang wall cloud and everything--then suddenly, I saw a radar update that I either missed or else that arrived while I was in the act of hitting the "post reply" button, along with a slew of storm reports I never saw until after the fact, and I looked up, and Shazzam! the storm I was approaching had somehow jumped half a county and was moving off to the north.

Well, of course I barreled after it and caught some action, but I'm tellin' ya, these virtual chases are messing with my head. It didn't help when you got out of the car and started walking south toward Lovington earlier, Kurt. I never saw a man walk so fast--you had to be doing 70. I blinked twice and did a double-take, and by then you had already disappeared over the horizon. I'm thinking I need to find me some really good tranquilizers, because I can feel my sanity slipping.

WELL. . .I DIDN'T STATE RULES AT THE BEGINNING OF THE CHASE CASE LIKE I DID WITH THE PRIOR CASES. MAYBE KURT FIGURED IT WAS OK TO USE THE "STAR TREK TELETRANSPORTER" IN THIS CASE. MAYBE HE HAD A FAST BIKE HIDDEN BEHIND A PILE OF TUMBLEWEED IN THE PRAIRIE.

GOOD JOB EVERYONE! THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS. THIS CHASE WAS DIFFICULT TO KEEP GOING WITHOUT EVERYONE FIGURING OUT THE DATE. IT WAS ISOLATED TO A RELATIVELY SMALL AREA OF THE S PLAINS. IF YOU WERE WITHIN RANGE, I WILL GIVE YOU THE BENIFIT OF THE DOUBT AND HEREBY AWARD STEAK DINNER. . .

WELL. . .I DIDN'T STATE RULES AT THE BEGINNING OF THE CHASE CASE LIKE I DID WITH THE PRIOR CASES. MAYBE KURT FIGURED IT WAS OK TO USE THE "STAR TREK TELETRANSPORTER" IN THIS CASE. MAYBE HE HAD A FAST BIKE HIDDEN BEHIND A PILE OF TUMBLEWEED IN THE PRAIRIE.

GOOD JOB EVERYONE! THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS. THIS CHASE WAS DIFFICULT TO KEEP GOING WITHOUT EVERYONE FIGURING OUT THE DATE. IT WAS ISOLATED TO A RELATIVELY SMALL AREA OF THE S PLAINS. IF YOU WERE WITHIN RANGE, I WILL GIVE YOU THE BENIFIT OF THE DOUBT AND HEREBY AWARD STEAK DINNER. . .

Nah, Kurt distinctly said he was walking. That's what amazed me. A car at that speed, no sweat, but walking? Right where he got out, though, it appears that the storm would probably have come to him, so I think he just wanted to experience it in a more direct way. Actually, I think he was just kidding, and took his own car, so never mind my babbling.

Anyway, I'll count coup on this one, because in real life I think I'd have had it. But this is an area of the country that I haven't actually chased yet, and it's interesting to see how that lack of experience can affect my forecasting.

Once again, Matt, thanks for a very interesting scenario. Besides being fun (albeit at times a bit surreal), these chase cases are a terrific way for me to sharpen my forecasting skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the storm report I was in the neighborhood so I would have been in the right place to score. A lot would have depended on road networks and there is no way to know how that would have worked out.

Again, Matt thanks for the chase.

Looking at the reports, the track of the cyclic supercell, and where CZandbergen and I "were", I'd say we had a very good day, indeed! The cell apparently tracked a little east of Loco Hills and only improved from its appearance on the 21Z radar until it finally tornadoed. Thanks again, for putting this case together, Matt!

Nah, Kurt distinctly said he was walking. That's what amazed me. A car at that speed, no sweat, but walking? Right where he got out, though, it appears that the storm would probably have come to him, so I think he just wanted to experience it in a more direct way. Actually, I think he was just kidding, and took his own car, so never mind my babbling.

To set the record straight: I never got in the car to head to Roswell. Bob was just losing his mind at this point. :)

Bob I am leaning more to the south towards Lovington. I guess I am walking ;)

Edit: I can see, from Tatum, the cells to my WSW coming at me. In reality! I am thankful I had my car here. Like I would walk. I think I may move SW a few miles on some back roads out of Tatum.

Okay, wait looking at the map there aren't really any back roads that move SW out of Tatum so I Am going to drift south on 206 toward Lovington. I am watching the tail end charlie get it act together: 22z

Back