Chase Case 5

Realizing I needed to be west but not to far west was a good descision. I was at Ogallalla before the storms initiated and moved towards the storm in SW NE. I was in perfect postion to get on any of the storms in the area.

I knew this was the Big Springs, NE tornado as soon as I saw the location of that first cell popping up in ne CO. I didn't chase this day although I'm not sure why, it was only 3 hours from home - probably had work commitments or something. Congrats to all who bagged!

I'd like to think that I bagged the Big Springs naders since I was definately in the vincinity, but I have never chased up there before and Wesley noted that the road network sucked...and I tend to magnify my mistakes and screw-ups when its showtime and the road network is crappy, so i don't know. Thanks for putting this together Charles.

I chased this day with Eric Nguyen. It is interesting to see the "brief tornado" reports on what was a 30-minute tornado.

http://www.mesoscale.ws/04-documents/040610.htm

040610-2.jpg

040610-9.jpg

040610-14.jpg

040610-16.jpg

I'd consider my virtual chase a success. I was floating on 80 in between Ogallala and Chappell which is right where Big Springs is so...Great case! I was much happier with my initial forecast on this scenario than on case 4 where I busted. Thanks again for putting another one of these together!

Incredible tornadoes! I didn't recall this day! Too bad I was in bed during the "real chase"...I was in Grant,Ne, maybe I would have bagged the Big Springs stovepipe. Thanks Charles for this case.

Had to step away from the computer after the 19Z update for the rest of the day. But as best I can tell I would have bailed toward Oglala - Pine Ridge, SD, arriving around 22:30Z. A little late, so busted. Too much shear for the CAPE up here. Crap. Thanks for the case, Charles.

I guess this chase case was a half success/fail for me. I would have missed the storm of the day. I have Scott's dvd "Get Out and Film It", and the footage of the stovepipe tornado is awesome!

I did manage to nail down to the town Dighton, KS the nearly exact point of initiation of the supercell which developed in Kansas and eventually became tornadic as it tracked into southern Nebraksa during the evening hours.

This chase had us nailing the impressive stovepipe tornado in the Big Spring NE area and then we also got the bonus "buck" after dark near Red Cloud NE. I remember the night time nader well because NWS Hastings was doing a live broadcast saying a tornado looked to be on the ground near Inavale. We looked south and there it was a classic smallish tornado with small debris cloud. It passed right behind us about 100 yds. or so. This was a great and memorable chase day with Jeff and Kathryn Piotrowski.

Doug Raflik has an awesome structure shot of the nighttime tornado near Red Cloud...

http://www.wxnut.net/IMG_9024_16x20s.jpg

This chase had us nailing the impressive stovepipe tornado in the Big Spring NE area and then we also got the bonus "buck" after dark near Red Cloud NE. I remember the night time nader well because NWS Hastings was doing a live broadcast saying a tornado looked to be on the ground near Inavale. We looked south and there it was a classic smallish tornado with small debris cloud. It passed right behind us about 100 yds. or so. This was a great and memorable chase day with Jeff and Kathryn Piotrowski.

Doug Raflik has an awesome structure shot of the nighttime tornado near Red Cloud...

Wow! That is a beautiful storm. That was the storm I had forecast, so I did better than I thought.

I order that image from Doug a few years ago and framed it...one of the best structure shots i've ever seen.

Back