Chase Case #7

Tough call... Any chance we could get some closer-up / zoomed surface map from OK/TX area? I like the rich gulf moisture in the southern plains, along with nicely backed flow in TX east of the low. Deep-layer shear should be supportive of supercells given 500mb flow out of the SW at 45-50kt above southeasterly or southerly surface winds. Farther north (from central OK northward), the surface flow appears a bit more veered (SSW-SW). So, it appears that the best low-level shear is in TX and southern OK, though that may spread northward and northeastward with time. The low in TX doesn't appear to be too strong, but it's movement to the northeast from 12z-15z indicates pressure falls are occurring across northcentral TX and probably into southern OK. Despite this, pressures at SPS and DFW have not changed from 12-15z, and pressure has actually risen at OKC and TSA/TUL...

Thermodynamically, a nice EML has moved over much of the southern plains, with very steep lapse rates evident (e.g. nearly dry adiabatic from 840-575mb on the OUN sounding). These lapse rates, atop rich low-level moisture, have the potential to create very strong instability / CAPE by afternoon. However, this airmass has also created a capping situation, as evidenced by the 12z OUN sounding. Surface obs don't show much in the way of insolation south of the Red River, with partly cloudy skies in OK. Farther north into eastern KS and MO, the cap situation doesn't appear to be AS bad on the 12z soudings, but shallower moisture and the advection of warmer 850-700mb temps may cause trouble later in the afternoon. Given the rich moisture to the south (e.g >67F Tds) and sufficient shear, I'm happy to see that I won't have to drive TOO far (from OUN). I'm a little concerned about initiation in TX given that there doesn't appear to be a very good source for surface convergence... Winds at AMA have turned to the NE at 15z, and winds to the southwest of the "low" at MAF are southeasterly... The more I look at it, I'm not sure how much I believe the position of that "low", not that it really matters THAT much since it's pretty weak. Regardless, it doesn't look like the front is moving too much farther south in west TX given that AMAs winds veered to the NE at 15z. I'd be interested to see what the LUB/LBB observation is...

Target: Waurika, OK.

I'd be interested to see what the LUB/LBB observation is...

Funny, it's on the top map, in the very bottom left corner, but not in the southern map. That makes things a little more clear w.r.t. dryline. Still sitting in ABI awaiting for 18z...

I'd be interested to see what the LUB/LBB observation is...

Funny, it's on the top map, in the very bottom left corner, but not in the southern map. That makes things a little more clear w.r.t. dryline. Still sitting in ABI awaiting for 18z...

AAH, good calll... I didn't look too closely at the 1st / northern map. Sure enough, however, it's there. My bad.

Have debated this, but I think I'm going to try to get ahead of the dryline a bit more ... and I'm going to call Brady, Texas (Brady County) for now. In a normal chase situation we would be zooming in on that dryline right now to see what's going on with it, but since we're eyeballing it I'll just have to settle for this for now.

Hmm. Okay, looks like more cloud cover for my area as my cyclone lifts NE, warm front hasn't moved much. And since tempatures haven't risen all at much im thinking at making a push a little further noth towards the WF and maybe push a tad more east. Hopefully the 18z data brings a little more moisture and some clearing. That airmass looks juicy down in Texas all socked in clouds and such.

I didn't scroll past the 12Z data so I don't know if there's been an update, but based on what I've seen so far I'm driving to DFW, and parking myself east of that surface low.

Ok, scrolled down to 15Z data. I'm staying put in Dallas for now, but a little bird is telling me I may need to drift north before long.

Going back to scroll for more data...

EDIT: Ok, there is no more data :lol:

The upper Midwest action is hard to ignore and will probably produce some surprises around the Quad Cities, but TX and OK are just too good. Mix the Norman and Midland soundings and add some heating and moisture ahead of the dryline -- somethings got to give somewhere. Low level winds aren't as backed as would be nice but the low shaping up over west TX should take care of that.

Based on the 12Z data, I'll be going to Altus, OK.

I guess later data may have come in while I was writing this....

[ed: wish I had a satellite picture. The precip in TX south of me at 15Z is annoying. Guess I'll wander south toward Vernon, TX.]

Sorry this is a little late, I needed to beg forgiveness for yesterday :)

The 18Z maps:

18Z_sfc2.jpg

18Z_sfc.jpg

Sorry about not having any satellite pics and the like to go along with this.

Hint: About 3.5 hours after 18Z a deadly F3 tornado was produced.

This is the last post, so it is time to name the date.

Pat

Hmmm, thunderstorm at my target location now. I guess since I'm up here I'll continue east with it now into northern IL.

Back