Chase Case 7

Yea, I actually didn't recognize the date until all the warnings started coming out.

Ok, to tell you why I stayed in Tx was more of a guess than anything. I looked at two things at the beginning. 1st was the maps that I was thinking was a low system flowing in from the mnts states Col/NM to the SE. That along with the huge CAPE number in Midland tx is why I went there. From there I just kept looking for the dryline that you could see coming and went north based on the data I got. I didn't like KS due to the temps. I thought hotter and wetter the better so I went south. I scored but all of us did well that day.

I figure a lot of the people on this forum are more accustomed to chasing farther south, and a lot of members live in/near the TX PH, and might believe in "panhandle magic". I was a little surprised not to see so many people up in SW NE/NW KS, as it went bonkers there, too, but that's probably explained by what I said.

I have this ranked as my third best chase day of all time! Literally every storm that formed that day produced multiple tornadoes. Eric and I left Denver in the morning and shot as far into the panhandles as we could reach and caught 6 or 7 tornadoes from Booker, TX to Beaver, OK. Our video was on TWC the next day as we caught the wedge that unfortunately took the lives of a couple unbeknownced to us at the time.

On the way back in the dark we were cutoff by a closed road to Holly, CO and there was a wedge on the ground near DDC but we were completely exhausted and could not chase anymore that night. We arrived back in Denver to blizzard conditions.

Here's our full report: http://stormchaserco.blogspot.com/2007/03/2007-03-28-report.html On my page at the bottom there are three links to the coverage that night - unreal day...

2007038_Cone1.jpg

20070328_Wedge1.jpg

So that's the storm I was on? Holy Storms of 2007, Batman!

Geeze, Verne, no wonder you reassured me that I'd do okay in Booker. Dang. Hey, if you happened to notice a tan Buick Century heading in the same direction, that was me in my dreams. :D

Awesome pics and YouTube video. It's nice to connect all the historic data and virtual footwork with some actual images. Thanks for sharing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a great day! My avatar was the tornado south of Clarendon that I got, better known as the Brice tornado.

Jason, I saw the tornado in your avatar and was suprised you didn't recognize this day a lot sooner! The tornado in my avatar was also from this day, although I was up in northwest KS.

Thanks to Jeff for putting this together. Even though I recognized the day right away just based on the UA charts, and several others recognized it along the way too, it was really interesting watching how other people would have played the day. It seems like TX was the favored target, just like it was in real life. It was also nice seeing a lot of the archived data from the day as well.

March 28, 2007 is still my "career best" chase with five tornadoes in one day, including my first wedge, and first multiple simultaneous tornadoes. Special thanks to Jerry Funfsinn for getting video of the whole chase. I had my camcorder on a tripod while we were caravanning and couldn't shoot video until we stopped. Jerry got all the good shots:
07032824.jpg

http://www.skip.cc/chase/070328/

Wow, simply amazing pics and chase accounts, guys. Verne, the double vortex tornado shot is especially jaw-dropping! Thanks for sharing the images and history of that day.

An outbreak like that is rather unusual for March, and the last thing on my mind as I'm usually still watching snow melt around here.

Current temperature in Winnipeg is -31 C, jeez. How I wish I lived on the Plains.

John Hudson
VE4 JTH

What was my decision to stay in the TX Panhandle? Lucky guess?!? LOL Got my first 'virtual tor' near Clarendon, TX. =]

Dryline sharpening had something to do with it; wanted to stay 'close to home' for my first virtual chase; and what I said first: lucky guess. LOL

Thank you, Jeff, for letting me 'ride along'. Look forward to another chase in the near future! You did a fantastic job. Congratulations.

I just started reading this this morning, As I was going through it I realized what a great teaching tool this type of thread is for a pure novice such as myself...

Of coarse this turned out to be a breakout day, so my "educated (lol)", was a bit lack luster... The storms popped from TX to NE. Kinda hard to screw this one totally up. But I guessed I would start off in Pampa, TX at the start, more for the n,s,e,w available roads and the fact it wasnt a major city.... Glad to see I would have had company there...

I would love to see more of these threads Jeff, if possible. I unlike many of you have ever seen this data. Maybe it will all come together for me and I'll understand exactly why and where you position yourselves for the days events.

I hope to catch more virtual chases in the near future.

Thanks,

Ken

I just started reading this this morning, As I was going through it I realized what a great teaching tool this type of thread is for a pure novice such as myself...

Of coarse this turned out to be a breakout day, so my "educated (lol)", was a bit lack luster... The storms popped from TX to NE. Kinda hard to screw this one totally up. But I guessed I would start off in Pampa, TX at the start, more for the n,s,e,w available roads and the fact it wasnt a major city.... Glad to see I would have had company there...

I would love to see more of these threads Jeff, if possible. I unlike many of you have ever seen this data. Maybe it will all come together for me and I'll understand exactly why and where you position yourselves for the days events.

I hope to catch more virtual chases in the near future.

Thanks,

Ken

Ken,
I do plan on doing another case here soon...probably within the next 2 weeks. Keep your eyes peeled for it. I will try to find a case that is much less "obvious" or "easy".

Thanks Jeff, lots of work going into this. Please also know, it turned out easy due to the wide outbreak... and I got lucky!!! lol. I will now go back over your older chase posts and see how I fair.

Thanks,

Ken

Back