CHASE CASE #8

I jettisoned the stuff by Grinnel, blasted east, and have intercepted the Iowa City/Downey cell. I dislike these benefit-of-the-doubt scenarios, but this one seems reasonable. So, tornado in progress--getting some cool photos. With this storm moving into a lobe of higher dewpoints, and with ample directional shear present, I expect it will continue to provide action for a while.

Posting this after looking at the 18z and 19z updates - seeing these, I am moving a bit southwest to Oskaloosa, IA. The best shear is along and ahead of the curved line of storms in SW IA and western MO. So I think the best play will be in south-central and southeast IA and northern MO. Oskaloosa looks like a good spot from where I was sitting in Iowa City.

(Note: if there are updates after 19z, I haven't seen them yet - want to play this with what I have as of 19Z so if there are subsequent updates I haven't seen yet I might look very smart or very dumb with this choice.)

EDIT - after seeing the towers exploding to my south from Oskaloosa, I blasted SE to intercept the cell that is showing up nicely on the 21Z radar update near Ottumwa, IA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting this after looking at the 18z and 19z updates - seeing these, I am moving a bit southwest to Oskaloosa, IA. The best shear is along and ahead of the curved line of storms in SW IA and western MO. So I think the best play will be in south-central and southeast IA and northern MO. Oskaloosa looks like a good spot from where I was sitting in Iowa City.

(Note: if there are updates after 19z, I haven't seen them yet - want to play this with what I have as of 19Z so if there are subsequent updates I haven't seen yet I might look very smart or very dumb with this choice.)

John, updates through 23Z have been posted. Check the past pages for the data.

The 00Z update will be up within 2 hours.

After looking at the 19z data I would have probably jumped back towards the east to hang with this boundary moving through. Still hoping some type of initiation takes place soon across the area. Will likely be in West Plains, Mo. by 23z and waiting on any initiation. If nothing pops I will likely hang out in Cabool with friends. I rarely chase east of West Plains so if nothing fires I will probably call it quits on this one.

John, updates through 23Z have been posted. Check the past pages for the data.

The 00Z update will be up within 2 hours.

Sorry, Jeff, I was behind on the game after not being able to check updates yesterday or today. I wanted to play the game so just looked at 18Z and 19Z updates, then picked my spots. Wish I had stayed in Iowa City, but think I would have seen the storms going up in time to backtrack SE or NE, so hopefully I scored either in Wapello or Johnson Counties. I am, with a slight bit of uncertainty, smelling steak tonight!

I'm blasting towards Sullivan, MO on HW 44. If something does develop it looks to be a night chase.

Judging by its trajectory, the Dubuque storm looks to be the same one I picked up on over by Downey. I'll claim to have been tracking with it, making fantastic judgment calls, effortlessly navigating the Iowa main roads and back roads, taking breathtaking photos of tubes, and in every way earning my steak dinner. And as long as I'm at it...I got to within 100 feet of a large virtual tornado as it crossed the virtual road directly in front of me, virtually speaking. Heck, yes. Blasted inflow was so strong that it seriously mussed up my hair.

Paying the price for not having paid closer attention to driving times, thereby never getting back to Iowa and now just hoping to get something out of NE MO. After leaving Milan MO at 23 Z took a left turn to the North after 33 miles at Kirksville to then go north on 63 and getting to Lancaster about 00z (an hour 37 min. driving time? really google? it's only 57.2 miles, is the speed limit under 55 or something? lot of stops?) to then head east on 136

Results

This chase case was for Friday, May 15, 1998. See reports below.

Reports.gif

(no text of the reports because SPCs usual storm reports display does not go back this far, but text reports can be found at the NCDC storm reports online database, and I've saved a copy of it here)

The severe/tornadic storms in Iowa moved into Wisconsin and Illinois, where they would continue to produce a few additional tornadoes early in the evening.

This was an interesting case because it seemed to frustrate many of you who chose to target SW Iowa. In looking at the data myself, if I had to make chase decisions, I would have done the same thing as you guys. I did a few hand-drawn analyses of the data, and I'll show the 19Z analysis as an example. In this synoptic analysis, surface pressure is contoured every 4 mb and dewpoint is contoured every 5 F with the highest dewpoints shaded darkest green and fading from there. I did not include contours near the edges of the map since the area of interest was in the middle of it. You can clearly see the position of the surface low and the warm sector with a decent dryline in Iowa and Missouri. That dryline stuck out like a sore thumb! You just don't see drylines make it into Iowa or Missouri often. Granted this dryline was synoptically forced, but it caught my eye right away. I would've been glued to it. Since I also like surface lows and backed winds, I would've tried to say near it, which would've put me southwest of Des Moines during most of the event. The surface low and attendant upper level shortwave moved quickly during this event, though, with the surface low moving from near Salina at 12Z to all the way into central Minnesota by 00Z. Thus it would've been hard to stay with it. The biggest storms in southeast Iowa formed along the dryline, however.

Arguably, the place to be during this event would've been on the supercell that produced several tornadoes, some strong and long track, that moved through Washington. This was a significant event for the area. As a frightened 13-year-old boy in Marion, IA sat glued to the TV as a news helicopted from KCRG in Cedar Rapids caught, for the first time on live tv, a bona fide large tornado as it passed northwest of Lone Tree in Johnson county. I can't find any video of that online, but I know it's in the archives at KCRG. This tornado did significant damage to Washington and was rated F3, as well as were a few other tornadoes spawned by this storm. To those of you near that cell, good job. You would've been very pleased. Here is a video of the big one early in it's life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvNN5rXXKXo.

I want to thank all of you who participated in this case. I had fun putting it together and seeing how people would do with an uncommon severe weather scenario. I hope you enjoyed it. Congrats to those who saw any tornadoes. Several states were impacted, so the success was widespread. Enjoy your steak dinners!

Jeff, thanks both for a very interesting and challenging case and for a great wrap-up. Nicely done analysis! Funny, I never even thought "dryline"--I just thought, "Man, the moisture is mixing out fast west of me!" That's an eye-opener to me how regional expectations can influence my perception.

Again, well done. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been out of the house today, but based on the reports, I managed to double dip today, catching the early tornado in Nebraska and then the large tornado near Iowa City. Very challenging, but rewarding case. Thanks, Jeff! :)

Yeah, thanks again Jeff for putting together another great chase case. I busted but learned a lot at the same time so it's a win for me personally. I really thought that second wave was going to do it but that's how it goes. Thanks again!

I did not chase this day! I did live in Minneapolis during this event however and do remember it. Really happy to see you put up a 1998 chase event Jeff. What is interesting about this year is it shadowed the moderate/strong El Nino of 1997. 1998 ended up being a record year for tornadoes. Interesting to see this active northern track storm after such an event. I would have likely spent little gas money on this event and ended up with a bust. Thanks Jeff!

Good deal. I'm kind of surprised I didn't get anything further south, though I may have caught the storms in northern IL as they dropped severe weather and a possible tornado. Definitely not used to some of the products provided, but I'll give it another try and see if I can get in better position for the next one!

Back