CHASE CASE #8

I'm going to blast East also out of Osceola, IA towards the cell in Wapello county. With the wind shift from the southwest in SW IA bringing colder and drier air I'd have to think that would be my best bet. Heading east on 34 towards Ottumwa, IA and probably farther since I would be playing catch up.

Looks like I'm right in no man's land, sitting just south of Des Moines. I think I'll head through Des Moines and east on I-80. We'll see if those storms off to the south and east can get cranking. We'll say Iowa City by 23z unless I'm prompted to change direction.

For some reason that "wayfaring" map has kept me in the twilight zone of Kansas City, MO, but I have to at least gotten to Cameron and now heading up the 35 before turning NE on the 6 to cruise along towards Milan, MO which should not take more than 2 hours.

Yeah, sometimes the wayfaring map doesn't "update" at that link, even though when I select "edit map" it reappears correctly.

Intermediate update

*Chase time is approximately 2115Z*

-At 4:10 PM CDT a tornado was spotted a tornado 5 N Silver Lake, Minnesota in Mcleod County. Reports say farmsteads were damaged and posts were found driven 2 feet into the ground.
-At 4:13 PM CDT a tornado was spotted 3 W Ireton, Iowa in Sioux County.
-At 4:15 PM CDT a tornado was sighted near Chillicothe, Iowa in northwestern Wapello County.
-At 4:16 PM CDT a tornado was sighted 2 S of Joice, Iowa in western Worth County.
-At 4:20 PM CDT a tornado was spotted 5 W Sioux Center, Iowa in Sioux County.
-At 4:21 PM CDT a tornado was sighted near Auburn, Iowa in southeastern Sac County.

Tornado_spotted_4.png

22Z update will be out by late tonight.

Still headed east on I-80. Going to wait for that cell to the SE to get to me and to see if it has anything left. If not, probably will break for home.

After getting to Milan, MO, going to just keep going on 6 to eventually cross at Quincy IL if needed, aiming to get some of the action that had better materialize in NE MO.

The storms in central Iowa don't look to good. Time to head home. I should have stayed in southern Iowa but in real life I probably would have been in central Iowa (close to home) watching the storms move through. Good job to everyone who intercepted a tornado.

22Z Update

An intermediate update first, then the 22Z update

*Chase time is approximately 2140Z*​

2240Z Radar:

Tornado_spotted_5.png

-At 4:40 PM CDT a large tornado was sighted in the Twin Cities suburb of Roseville. Debris in the air.
-Also at 4:40 PM CDT a tornado was spotted near Albany, Minnesota in Stearns County.
-At 4:50 PM CDT a tornado was spotted near Lino Lakes, Minnesota in Anoka County. This is believed to be from the same storm that produced the tornado in Roseville just 10 minutes prior.

-------------------------------------------​

22Z update

-At 5:00 PM CDT a tornado was sighted 2 NW Eyota, Minnesota in Olmstead County.

Surface:
Northern US
Southern US

Satellite:
National IR
Central Plains visible
Mid-Mississippi Valley visible

Wind profilers:
Lower troposphere
Upper troposphere

Radar (with watches):
National
Kansas
South Dakota
Iowa
Illinois

-At 5:05 PM CDT a very large tornado was sighted in Washington, Iowa in Washington County doing damage to the town.

Taking a horrible angle on the storm in Washington County. Have to see if there will be anything to see by the time I get there. Then again, approaching from the NNW, I may die in the process...

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm a bust for today. I started too far W and was playing catch up all day. I had a glimmer of hope with that second line moving into W IA but it's more or less dissipated. Time to make my way home, tail between my legs and all.:(

Back