CHASE CASE #8

I just got into the game. But my plans for the day were to leave Springfield Mo and head up I-44 to Rolla, MO. Then north up 63 hwy to Columbia. My destination in ne MO up near KIRKSVILLE :).

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yeah, can we get a theta-e/streamline data set is possible?

Just because I like you...and because I have the capabililty, I went ahead and got some data and made some graphics for that. It wasn't easy, and you'll only get it for 18-21Z, but here are the 18Z and 19Z analyses for surface theta-e and streamlines

18Z Surface Theta-e and Streamlines
19Z Surface Theta-e and Streamlines (note: the analyses can only be considered to be fully accurate at 18Z and 21Z, because that's all the datasets I got had. I was able to make 19 and 20Z analyses by linearly interpolating between the two times, so just know that's what you're looking at when you view 19Z and 20Z analyses of this product)

Hopefully I'll be able to get the 20Z update out by early afternoon. I plan on having up to 22Z updates out by late tonight, so stay tuned!

I'm inclined to stay on the more isolated tail-end action in sw IA. Even though there was a tornado reported in northern IA that radar looks messy and not something I would have chased.

I just got into the game. But my plans for the day were to leave Springfield Mo and head up I-44 to Rolla, MO. Then north up 63 hwy to Columbia. My destination in ne MO up near KIRKSVILLE :).

Hey Buddy! Can Brian and I ride with you. We are broke and out of gas. You need to pick us up in Anderson, Mo. before you head up. Also, can you buy our beer after the chase?

Well, we are still hanging out here at the southern extent of this line debating whether to cross over into Oklahoma a tad. Wondering if this is going to be one of these Illinois/Tennessee valley events?

20Z Update

20Z update

As of 3:00 PM CDT, the tornado in Kossuth Co., Iowa was still on the ground, now southeast of Ledyard.

Satellite:
National IR
Central Plains visible
Mid-Mississippi Valley visible

Radar (with watches):
National
Kansas
South Dakota
Iowa
Illinois

Surface:
Northern US
Southern US

Wind profilers:
Lower troposphere
Upper troposphere (not available this hour)

20Z Surface Theta-e and Streamline analysis

Wayfaring map as of approximately 2000 UTC: http://www.wayfaring.com/maps/show/60975. Looks like most people are now clustering in southwest Iowa.

-At 3:10 PM CDT, a brief tornado touchdown was witnessed near Blue Earth, MN in Faribault County.

Just because I like you...and because I have the capabililty, I went ahead and got some data and made some graphics for that. It wasn't easy, and you'll only get it for 18-21Z, but here are the 18Z and 19Z analyses for surface theta-e and streamlines

18Z Surface Theta-e and Streamlines
19Z Surface Theta-e and Streamlines (note: the analyses can only be considered to be fully accurate at 18Z and 21Z, because that's all the datasets I got had. I was able to make 19 and 20Z analyses by linearly interpolating between the two times, so just know that's what you're looking at when you view 19Z and 20Z analyses of this product)

Hopefully I'll be able to get the 20Z update out by early afternoon. I plan on having up to 22Z updates out by late tonight, so stay tuned!
Haha, thanks! and you actually had to make those? Oh, and move me up just a little to Clarinda, IA

The line has come to me over by DeSoto and I'm now on the road playing it. May head for the new cell formation at the tail end. However, I also note low-level shear building across the river in western IL. Not sure that'll be a practical option, but at this point, with lots to think about, I'll play things by ear.

I haven't made it to Bedford yet but with the latest data coming in, I will be proceeding through Bedford and to the N to get in position for this second wave of cells moving into IA. I am going to try to make it to Creston, IA. Hoping to be there around 22z

My confidence in a second round near me is very low at the moment. Heading to the I-35 corridor just south of Des Moines. It's still pretty early, so we'll wait and see.

Back