CHASE CASE #8

I suspect I might be done for the day, but as I cross the Missouri River on I-80 I'm hoping to get to the Des Moines area by 21z, by which time I will have made a decision about whether to continue the chase, or break off.

Well with the new sat and the dryline on the move, think I will move down the road towards Bedford, IA and get further east now. I can still jump south down 71 HWY if need be from here.

I'm tempted to head to SW Iowa into the Cu field, but I still prefer the winds here in the central part of the state. I don't like lines, and there's one of those moving in, but I also notice an OFB being laid down by the exiting mass of convection, and I'm curious what it might do. So right now, I'm still hanging loose in DeSoto, but it won't take much to convince me to drop south or southwest.

BTW, looks like a supercell up near the MN border, and I notice that the best backing winds are up there now.

Wow some incredible shear across W/C Iowa...think I'll play the developing occlusion and peel north...holding up at Stuart IA. Strong convergence, decent moisture, and good heating should make this area pretty much under the gun.

I'm going to head further northeast towards Chesapeake, MO CU fields look to be towering off towards the west per satellite imagery. I'm hoping to see a more pronounced updraft develop and a severe thunderstorm (with a tornado) as the day moves forward.

Making good time on the north side of Little Rock at 19Z. I have a decision in about 45 minutes at Bald Knob whether to continue to Hoxie or head north into the trees to hopefully meet the tail end of the line in southern MO. As of now put me in Pleasant Plains, AR, at 20Z.

Intermediate update

*Chase time is approximately 1930Z*
Things aren't going so well up in north-central Iowa:
Tornado sighted on the ground 3 S Algona in Kossuth Co. at 2:30 PM. (radar grab)

At this point, I decide to dedicate myself to the southern edge of the existing cloud line and race up to Cassville, MO, hoping for some big ol' CB when I get there.

Left Cameron, MO and actually headed back North to IA on the 35 to then get to 80, headed west to Adair, IA, watching to see what's coming along, might just continue west to hop on the N/S 71 but for now guess that driving times me out around Adair, IA officially. (though I reserve the right to have continued on 35 as info may have updated while driving). . . wait a second, jet-lagged brain (in real-life that is) made me think that was CO referred to above not a county in IA, ha ha, ok, I went up 35 then and made it to Story City, IA. Guess I can't make it to Algona in that time (about 3 hours according to google maps), but maybe more is coming and should be able to bump up to the 20 for east/west if needed, so with minor speeding, maybe I could be there now about Blairsburg, IA. (3 hours 23 minutes according to google maps). Let's go with that, lurking by crossroads 35/20 for update.

reflecting on time constraints: I guess realistically I might not even be at Cameron, MO yet where I thought I was earlier. So, the above move might be for after 21 Z, ah well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back