CHASE CASE #8

I enjoyed my first chase and enjoyed chasing tornadoes in southwest KS. Thank you for taking your time to set things up and keep them going along the way.

At first glance I’m liking the potential for discrete cells to build on the southern periphery of the leading frontal boundary evident on both the satellite and radar imagery. I’m enjoying the very evident low-level shear in combination with a highly unstable atmosphere. I’m going to set up in Joplin, MO and see what I need to do from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed my first chase and enjoyed chasing tornadoes in southwest KS. Thank you for taking your time to set things up and keep them going along the way.

At first glance I’m liking the potential for discrete cells to build on the southern periphery of the leading frontal boundary evident on both the satellite and radar imagery. I’m enjoying the very evident low-level shear in combination with a highly unstable atmosphere. I’m going to set up in Joplin, MO and see what I need to do from there.

15z data wants to take my motivation more eastward, but I'm not totally buying on it this minute.... I'll wait for 18z data to move if I decide to.

I edged south out of central Iowa (no, you didn't know I was there), and now I am down in Columbia, MO snacking on some trail mix while wondering if I can get away with going as fast on these other roads as the 70.

12Z Hodographs

12Z data add on - hodographs

By request, here are hodographs based on 12Z sounding data from some select locations (chosen as those near the initial targets those have chosen)

Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
Lincoln, IL
Little Rock, AR
Omaha, NE
Norman, OK
Shreveport, LA
Topeka, KS

This puts my initial update schedule a little behind, but I plan on issuing an intermediate update very shortly, followed by the 18Z update shortly after that. Expect both updates to be posted by early-mid afternoon.

Intermediate update

*Chase time is approximately 17Z*​

Probably only Patrick would have had a shot at this, but those of you in SE Nebraska would probably be hearing a crackle through your CB radio or NWS radio if you have one...

12:01 PM CDT - Tornado reported north of Fairmount, NE doing damage to a farmstead
12:06 PM CDT - Tornado reported south of McCool Jct., NE
12:30 PM CDT - Tornado spotted south of Benedict, NE (Radar grab)

Also, earlier in northwest Iowa:
11:30 AM CDT - Tornado spotted 7 SW Rock Valley, IA (radar grab)

I am heading to Osceola, Iowa so I can move west if needed and so I can look over the upcoming update. May be moving south again later.

18Z update

18Z Update

I apologize for having forgotten to include some earlier data, so I will do that.

16Z Wind profilers:
Lower troposphere
Upper troposphere

17Z Satellite:
National IR

---------------------------------------------​

18Z data

Surface:
Northern US
Southern US

Satellite:
National IR
Central Plains visible
Mid-Mississippi Valley visible

Soundings:
Omaha, NE hodograph

Radar (with watches):
National
Kansas
South Dakota
Iowa
Illinois

18Z positions: http://www.wayfaring.com/maps/show/60975

Plan on seeing the next update by this evening.

Blasting to the NE to Princeton, MO and dropping by McDonalds for a quick lunch.

Going to slide west of SGF into the Anderson Mo. area and wait for development. Cu field going up at the tail end of the line developing that has caught my eye. I am going to chase close to home on this event.

It's lunch time, still hanging out in Des Moines, IA. The surface low is still off to my west and I'll be looking for an isolated cell at the tail end of one of these lines of convection.

Back