CHASE CASE #8

My confidence is low enough that I am reverting to the "drive in a direction until something fires" plan: headed north, possibly as far as Lincoln, NE.

I'm going to continue my stay in Topeka. Eating breakfast in the b-fast bar at the Holiday Inn Express. Boy these blueberry muffins are good!

I'm heading for Des Moines with some misgivings because of the large umbrella of convection. I do, however, like what's happening with the winds there, and with the placement of the surface low along the KS/NE border. There's nothing hard and fast that recommends itself to me right now, but if the crud in central IA manages to clear out and allow some insolation, I could probably be a happy little sunbeam right around there.

EDIT: Actually, please put me in DeSoto, just west of Des Moines--outside the big-city crush and with good road options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to fuel up the thristy F150 and put the pop and water on ice, getting ready for a loooong day. Cruising just a few minutes north to Liberty, MO. Grabbing my fuel at the IHOP.

Ken

I'm going to head West on I-70 to Lawrence, KS. I've got to get past that darn Tonganoxie Split. Everyone in Kansas City knows that tornadoes can't cross that.:D

I am leaving Centerville, Iowa and heading to Lamoni, Iowa. From there I can quickly move into Missouri, central Iowa or southwest Iowa if needed.

I am still in Springfield, Mo. Have likely went over the data with my chase partner and we are still reluctant to move. We have I-44 that can move us towards Tulsa, or St. Louis. Hwy 60 will bring us towards West Plains and Paducha. I absolutely despise chasing the Mark Twain forest so we will likely hang in SGF until something begins to fire.

I'm nudging west to Iowa City. Not quite ready to jump on the Des Moines bandwagon yet, as I think something could fire in MO and move northeast into southeast IA. I'm liking the more isolated nature of the convection farther south, and it is a little less gungy down there, too. Besides, Iowa City gives me good highway options in all 4 directions, so I can go south if I have to, or west to jump on the DSM bandwagon if I later decide that's the way to go.

Well, I was on my way to Des Moines, IA. But I stopped in Bethany, MO because Im not sure if I want to commit that far north yet. Will hold in Bethany for now until further data comes out.

Jumping in late here but put me in Nebraska City,NE Good starting point with good road network from here. Liking the backed winds at 850mb per the profiler and nice forcing at 500mb here also.

Back