CHASE CASE #8

Following the cell from Osceola to Martensdale, IA along I-35. I'll give it a couple more hours to produce and then shoot west to catch the line closer to the surface low - it's on my way back to Denver so that's what I'd likely do in real life.

I have decided to follow the line of storms east a bit. I am on the tail end storm since I am by Osceola. My confidence is low and I would rather wait but nothing to the SW looks impressive. I will head home to Newton if this line does not do anything in the next hour and then chase only local storms that come near Newton.

Heading for Ash Flat, AR, at 21Z. Jeez, pretty but I hate these roads up here....

Actually pretty optimistic about something developing in a few hours up north where I'm headed. Well, the hills sure are pretty anyway :rolleyes:.

Instead of racing north for the N.Iowa supercells, I think I'll wait and see if something gets well organized over WC/SW Iowa. Looking at the interesting upper low and the purdy convective spokes. Shear at 20z on Slater profile sure looks good enough for tornadoes...either with the line or with new development. I am holding at Stuart IA keeping a watchful eye on radar trends...

This scenario is frankly a puzzler for me, and I find Brian's comments helpful since he's been sitting just down the road from me in Stuart and has lots more experience than I do. The shear in this area is excellent, but watching the radar, I haven't been convinced that more convection will fire up behind this immediate line. Maybe I just need to sit tight and bide my time. So after putzing around for a bit, I'm back in De Soto, hoping to learn a thing or two.

21Z update

21Z update

Upper air (this should give you a clue of the general time period of this case):
300 mb
500 mb
850 mb

Wind profilers:
Lower troposphere
Upper troposphere

Surface:
Northern US
Southern US
Surface Theta-e and Streamline analysis

Satellite:
National IR
Central Plains visible
Mid-Mississippi Valley visible

Radar (with watches):
National
Kansas
South Dakota
Iowa
Illinois

-At 3:58 PM CDT a tornado was sighted near Eagle Grove, IA in Wright County
-At 4:00 PM CDT two tornadoes were reported near Denison, IA in Crawford County

More updates coming soon tonight!

21z data set and TOR reports have me charging north. The storms up southeast of Sioux City look pretty crunchy...and should get meaner. Time to make a move with the Sac City/Pocahontas IA area as my revised target.

At this point, I'm going with my gut. I think the action is spreading east, and I'm heading that way down I-80, with an eye on dropping down to intercept the isolated cell coming up out of western Wapello County. I live in Michigan, so anything I get from this point will be headed in the general direction of home.

On the last update I was moving up I-35 and hope that I would have made the Eagle Grove, IA tornado. In an hour you can get pretty far in chase mode. I would have surely seen it from a distance at least.

For some reason that "wayfaring" map has kept me in the twilight zone of Kansas City, MO, but I have to at least gotten to Cameron and now heading up the 35 before turning NE on the 6 to cruise along towards Milan, MO which should not take more than 2 hours.

Back