Chase Case 5

As of the 19z updated, I think I will hold up in Julesburg instead of heading to Chappell, Ne. Looks like some initiation is taking place near Sterling, Co. on visible Satellite. I should be in Julesburg by 20z.

You couldn't ask for better chasing territory. Great road grids and, at least in most of the state, flat-as-a-pancake visibility. I don't feel at all bad about my target, but if something breaks out in IL, anyone chasing it will have it good. Except for an Alltel data hole through the middle of the state. But maybe the Verizon merger has fixed that.

I am sure there are many good areas to chase in Illinois, as well as Indiana and Ohio. I have just never chased in those areas. I tend to like chasing in areas with no trees at all. I am sure one of these years I will venture east of the Mississippi River. Until then, I am content with chasing the Great Plains.:)

I am sure there are many good areas to chase in Illinois, as well as Indiana and Ohio. I have just never chased in those areas. I tend to like chasing in areas with no trees at all. I am sure one of these years I will venture east of the Mississippi River. Until then, I am content with chasing the Great Plains.:)

IL has very few trees lots of flat farm land between I-80 and I-70.

Amos Magliocco called it the cap rock of the midwest.

Having just arrived in Brush on CO 71, going to turn northeast on I-76 towards the cu developing near Sterling. If this can develop into a mature cell, might yet get something out of this day.

At 18z...Gonna hang tight in Sidney, NE. According to the MD, it looks like things are going to go here in the next hour or so. I'm sitting at a nice N-S-E-W crossroads, so am getting antsy. But I like my position for now.

Yeah, like I said, there is likely some good chase terrain in that area. Although the majority is full of trees. I have travelled along I-70, I-80, and I-55. I used to live in Boston and drove that route several times on my way back home. I also used to live in Chicago as well. I still think the visiblity in alot of areas leaves much to desire. I do know there are descent areas, but I prefer to chase in the Great Plains to which I am familiar with. I am sure that I will have my chance to chase Illinois, but until then I will chase the treeless Great Plains. There are good areas in Arkansas to chase, but I don't chase there often either. I think every state has an area that is good chase terrain. Im not knocking the chase quality, I just stated that I don't prefer to chase there.:D

Will drift W out of Ogallala on 80 toward the 76 intersection. That way I can dart back in to CO if that cell starts looking good. If not I will stay on 80 and stop in Chappell, NE.

lol there's no good chase terrain in Michigan. Unless you have a boat ;) And then the lakes are a big storm killer. Boo.

I am with Bob on this. Just arriving at 19Z in Ogallala, NE and going to drift towards the CU to my SW. I want to go north, but looking at Google makes me cringe. There's barely any paved roads, and not much more in the way of dirt roads.

I've obviously blown the forecast, but I'm out so I'll sit in Clinton, OK and see what happens. I'll be headed home by dark if nothing forms I can reach before then.

I chased western IL last May and was salivating at the chance to intercept...problem was that there was nothing to intercept...

Except for having to consider Illinois River crossings, the topography was top-drawer.

I've noted a towering cumulus cloud go up well to my NNW and am glad I'll be zooming north up 385. Maybe that will be something.

From Kearney I will head west to North Platte and then north toward Valentine with hopes of catching a rare west road through the sandhills. A gamble for sure.

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A
TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

NORTHERN AND CENTRAL ILLINOIS
WEST CENTRAL INDIANA

EFFECTIVE THIS UNTIL 900 PM CDT.

TORNADOES...HAIL TO 1 INCH IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS
TO 70 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.

THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS ALONG AND 35 STATUTE MILES NORTH AND
SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 35 MILES WEST NORTHWEST OF PEORIA ILLINOIS TO
40 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF TERRE HAUTE INDIANA.

REMEMBER...A TORNADO WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR
TORNADOES AND SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH AREA.
PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THREATENING
WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS AND POSSIBLE
WARNINGS.

DISCUSSION...SMALL SUPERCELLS ARE CONTINUING TO DEVELOP IN
SUBTROPICAL ENVIRONMENT ALONG WARM FRONT TYPE BOUNDARY EXTENDING
WNW/ESE ACROSS IL INTO INDIANA. AIR MASS IS VERY MOIST AND
MODERATELY UNSTABLE AND ENHANCED LOW LEVEL SHEAR NEAR THE FRONT WILL
MAINTAIN THREAT FOR SUPERCELLS AND BRIEF TORNADOES INTO THE EVENING.

Back