Chase Case 5

OK, I obviously badly misread the location of the dryline. I think I'm just going to keep driving north on Highway 71 until something develops. For the sake of a target, I'll go with Kimball, NE by 22z or so, unless something happens along the way. Honestly, I'm expecting a bust at this point, but who knows, maybe I'll get lucky. ;)

Hanging tight in Julesburg, The WF is right over head with some agitated CU developing over what looks to be Sterling. Watch went up to my north or is about to shortly. I think hanging on the the WF point will be my best option. I would expect to see a MD or Watch issued for NE CO, NW KS, Western NE issued soon.

Edit: Deeper Analysis of the METARs I now see some drier air punching in from my SW near Akron and what looks to be Limon CO. 49 T/d in Akron converging with 63 T/d in Yuma and Holyoke. with 27 T/d creeping in behind that from Limon (LIC?). Almost looks like a DL bulge yet there's not a DL exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice dryline shaping up across southwest Kansas. I am going to take my chances with the cap and drop south to Dighton, KS. I am expecting to see a very sharp dryline just to my southwest by 20z. I hope the cap breaks!

Haukay! Look at that dry punch into northeast WY from the southwest! Heading to Spearfish, SD, around 19:30Z, and a/o now on to Buffalo, SD, for the 21Z obs. 60+ dews and plenty of shear....

I'm very pleased with my present location in Lewellen, NE. There's a tower going up to my northwest, but I'm riding the WF with surface winds strengthening, moisture increasing, and Cu's bubbling. Patience, patience, don't jump the gun. Good things come to those who wait.

I am pleased with picking western NE and not going to far west. I don't want to be playing catch up with the storms. A Watch should be going up for my area soon. Time to wait and see what develops.

Don't want to get too far north, so will head north out of McCook, and intercept I-80 at Ogallala, then drift west. If I need to head even further north I'll collect US 385 out of Sidney, NE.

18Z coming up and I'm coming up on North Platte. I'm going to stop for a macdonalds break and fill up and continue west to Ogallala, NE around 19Z where I'll make a decision on whether or not to head Northwest or North. I want to stick with the warm front, which is somewhat hard to tell exactly where it is in that area because of the lack of metars (and the road networks suck too)

At least I've got fast internet/data all throughout western NE thanks to Verizon :)

Well looky there, a storm went up just north of Chadron, NE where I was monitioring. I'll have to go check it out. Moving up US385 into southwest SD around Oelrichs, SD.

Left Norton, reaching I-80 at Lexington, NE. Best AM radio in the state is here, so I'll have plenty of realtime WX reports now.

I have a feeling that I'll head west from LXN, and I think I know the day, but not sure yet.

Going to target the sharp dryline setting up in NE Colorado and head North from Goodland, KS up to Imperial, Ne. Looks like there's a little area of strong convergence from near Sterling, Co down to Yuma, Co with possibly (judging by lastest sat) some cu trying to gets its act together in the same region.

I have missed a few updates because I somehow got roped into working tonight.:mad: Anyway, I've caught up on all the data and am heading W out of North Platte on my way to Ogallala, NE for the WF play. Will readjust from there. Gotta admit though, that southern target looks nice down in S KS. Good luck everyone down there...

Back