Chase Case 5

I'll choose Goodland, KS. I've been liking the Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas intersection since I saw the 00Z data last night. Hope the cap doesn't become a problem though.

Left Norman early and checked the 12z data as I arrived in the Elk City, Ok area. I don't see a distinct dryline on any of the SFC map therefore I have decided to head further north. I am going to really have to use alot of forecasting to pinpoint any area of interest without a text outlook. I am going to mosey up to Liberal Ks. and sit on the SFC boundary in and close to the SFC low denoted on the synoptic map. After checking 15z data in Liberal I will likely head north towards Colby. Clearing in the area should allow the atmosphere to destabilize nicely. Temp spreads are anywhere from 1 to 5. There is some weak convergence in the area, and I like the loaded gun sounding out of AMA with 1200j/kg cape at 12z. The CAP is going to be a huge issue in AMA and if the CAP is breached should get some good action with the better directional shear in the area. I am hesitant to push further north until there is more clearing, and if enough clearing takes place I may be more inclined to push up to the Colby area. If there is a shot at the CAP going from AMA up to Lamar, Co. then that will keep me in range for that play. I will commit on a direction once I take a look at the 15z data. Great chase case BTW, does not ring a bell at all.

Edit: I have changed my original location from Dalhart to Liberal, ks. Going to traverse along the edge of the cloud deck clearing line. I should be in Liberal, Ks by 15 or 16z and will wait until I get the next update..

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I'm way late, again, but from 0Z night before data I will be heading to the Black Hills to Scottsbluff, NE area so let's call it Chadron, NE.

EDIT for 12Z data: Ah waking up to the fog and grunge before the storm! Going to wait here for a bit and see how the warm front progresses.

I am just jumping in. I would have stayed over night at Scott Bennett's house in Omaha, NE. Now looking at 12Z data, I'm jumping on I-80 in the morning and heading west. Scotty and I stayed up somewhat late geeking out on laptops, so I'm just getting out of bed at 7:30 and hitting the road by 8:30am. My initial target is North Platte, NE by 18Z and seeing what data I can get my hands on.

Still liking where I'm at in Goodland. I considered moving farther north but don't want to be out of play for anything that develops further down the plains.

Getting in on this late....yet again LOL.

I wouldve stayed at my place in St. Joseph, MO the night before the event, and woke up around 5 AM and leaving by 6 AM bound for McCook, NE. That way if I want to go south into KS I can, and if I want to stay in NE, no problem whatsoever :). I will be to McCook at around 1730Z, and truthfully, I might even make some adjustments as necessary along the way as 15Z data rolls in.

Well, it is now 1445z and I decided to pass through Liberal, Ks. I am currently stopped for a fuel up in Sublette, Ks off HWY 83. I figure I will wait here for the 15z update and have an early lunch. I should be able to make it to Colby, Ks by 18z easily. I am very worried that SFC heating will not be maximized across the Tx Panhandle into SW Kansas, and SE Colorado. There is a SFC boundary shown on the synoptic map, but I am worried that there isn't enough convergence or upper forcing to break the CAP if the daytime heating doesn't do so. Not a whole lot of action in the metropolis of Sublette, Ks. . .:eek:

I'm getting into this late. I'll park it in Colby, KS and wait for more data. But I like the DDC sounding and may head further south with the next update.

Got in late in the game. If i would have seen this earlier I would have gone to Grand Island, NE. I like that spot still...so i'll wait till the next set of data comes in

Just got home after spending the afternoon on a nice drive and hike out at Grand Ledge with my sweetheart, Lisa. I thought for sure I was going to find several runs gone by, storms a-poppin', and me having to fast-forward through a bunch of data, but it looks like everything's current and I'm still sitting here in North Platte, waiting for the 15Z runs or whatever is next on the slate. Geeze, there are a lot of other chasers here. Patrick, I've got the Frisbee in the trunk. :)

Staying put in Colby KS. Why? I have no idea where else to go ;) waiting on updated radar. Update: my laptop power supply broke so I will be out of touch thus I will have to bail out. I will check in when I can.

Back