Chase Case 5

I'm going to spend the night in North Platte, NE. I really like the moisture piling into the Cheyenne Ridge, but need to leave the northern play along the warm front in play.

Upper low looks like it may track east across Kansas. Lee cyclogenesis is underway in e CO/w KS. I'll make the drive out to Russell, KS and target from there tomorrow.

Following the action yesterday in New Mexico, woke up in Lubbock and chose to make the long drive up to Goodland, KS to spend the night.

I'm gonna setup in North Platte, NE. I like the moisture to the south and strong southeasterlies, so we should be seeing some decent advection. I'm gonna park it on this frontal boundary the surface charts are indicating. Hopefully that front doesn't surge too much overnight as I'm probably going to be following that tomorrow.

I'll pretend this is like any season, and my first chase for the season as I head out from Maryland. Stopped and slept in the Topeka area. Luckily I-70 (which I've been on since starting in MD) can get me west fast. Later will see what data/forecast brings within a realistic driving distance. Can't wait to see the viz sat.

Now for two or three more hours sleep and then wake up and head out. At least I'm on eastern time still, so 6am isn't too early.

(now I'll have to see if I can keep up with the thread, lots to do today).

According to my print out I can be in either of these places by noon:
Oakley KS
Kinsley KS
Medicine Lodge KS
Lincoln NE and I-80 (by 11am)
Enid OK

Therefore, not ready to pick a concrete target as I have options road wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
644 cst/1244z
OK, been up and awake now, pack the car up and checked out of the hotel. Just finished gassing up and now on the interstate heading west on I-70. Didn't get to check the latest updates yet since I wanted to get on the road. I'll stop near Salina likely for breakfast and review the latest runs/obs while I eat.

Back