11/14/05 (late)-11/15/05 NOW: Midwest-Mississippi Valley

Originally posted by HAltschule
Maybe they were all smart and realized they wouldn't be able to keep up with the storms...or that so many storms moving that quickly could be quite dangerous. But I too am surprised there is no \"Reports\" thread.

With one warning after another, anyone out chasing today would be way too busy to post anything.

This is what ... the THIRD time Montgomery County has had a tornado warned cell moving through it today? - - Those poor people must think it's the end of the world down there.

If any chaser managed to keep up with storms moving 50-75mph through the forests of Kentucky/Tennessee, my jaw will be on the floor. With so many tornadoes, I'd be surprised if someone didn't get SOMETHING, but it will still be a major feat to accomplish. Just maneuvering around all the bodies of water surrounding Paducah would be super tough.

STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AND INJURIES HAVE BEEN REPORTED IN THE ST. PAUL AREA.

Tornado reported to still be on the ground near the Rushville area in IN though the LL couplet has weakened significantly over the past couple of scans.

Strong LL velocity signature currently crossing the Benton/Humphreys county line in Tennessee -- I'd be surprised if there weren't a tornado on the ground with that one.

Damn....tornado warning just issued for Warrick Co., IN (very near to KEVV).

Originally posted by Sam Sagnella
Strong LL velocity signature currently crossing the Benton/Humphreys county line in Tennessee -- I'd be surprised if there weren't a tornado on the ground with that one.

Damn....tornado warning just issued for Warrick Co., IN (very near to KEVV).

listening to wfie, they are saying that 3 sirens are inopperable because of the tornado a week and a half ago

The thing about chasing KY/TN...the western parts of the states are fairly flat, but you've still got trees and sucky roads to deal with. Once you're east of Nashville then you've got hills, trees and sucky roads. Chasing these speed racers is all but impossible. Add in that now the storms are moving in at dark...bad situation. This is a night you wouldn't even catch me out chasing.
Angie

Not to clutter up a NOW thread with something slightly off topic, but does anyone know what's up with COD? I'm at work and don't have GRLevel3 with me, and I feel like I'm missing the superbowl here.

CoD's severe weather warnings (kamala.cod.edu/svr) weren't updating either. Actually, I'm not sure if any of their products are updating. Thank goodness for GR3!

It's amazing how closely the two mesos have tracked (regarding the two intense mesos that track just north of I40 in TN). The current supercell with a meso in central Humphreys county appears to be about 10 miles south of where the supercell now leaving Roberston co. (crossing the state border) tracked. Both storms had/have intense rotation, with large overall couplet size. There was another good instance of mesocyclone training that occurred with two supercells that tracked over Henry and Stewart counties in extreme northern TN. I can't imagine that either of the north-of-I40 storms didn't produce long-track tornadoes given the intensity and persistence of their mesos.

EDIT: PDS tornado watches are issued when the SPC believes there is an enhanced threat of strong or violent tornadoes. Therefore, the conditions that favor such tornadoes would need to be in place for the PDS tornado watch to be issued -- namely, intense low-level shear, supercell storm mode, etc. PDS Severe watches are issued for either widespread damaging wind events (e.g. derechos) or for expected reports of very high winds (>95mph). I remember one PDS severe watch in northern MO years ago that mentioned thunderstorm winds to 105mph possible.

Nothing "needs" to happen. There is no criteria, its up to forecasters discretion. And btw, that question DOES NOT belong in this thread per Stormtrack TOS rules. Please keep general questions to weather forum

As for COD, if you go to there main page, they have posted a message that their system is experiencing errors and will be down 'for quite some time'. Why does this always seem to happen during major severe weather events

Isolated severe thunderstorms are now erupting in southeast MI, with a tight mesocyclone now evident southeast of Adrian. I will be heading out quickly and will stay in southeast MI and continue to chase these cells...

Back