11/14/05 (late)-11/15/05 NOW: Midwest-Mississippi Valley

"The storms are not likely tilted as much as one might think."

I'm checking when half the volume scan is in to try to make up for the speed...

"Quote:"

No NWS bulletins please...

I'm not really seeing why tornado warning are being issued into Southern Michigan. There are dynamics in place but quite a bit of rainfall also. This will certainly act to reduce the supercell/tornadic potential. Anyone have any damage reports or anything significant seen in that area? I'm pretty surprised that the warnings flew up there.

Originally posted by HAltschule
I'm not really seeing why tornado warning are being issued into Southern Michigan. There are dynamics in place but quite a bit of rainfall also. This will certainly act to reduce the supercell/tornadic potential. Anyone have any damage reports or anything significant seen in that area? I'm pretty surprised that the warnings flew up there.

In the first place, there was only ONE warning issued (for two counties) in southeast MI... That was for a thunderstorms with a very strong low-level couplet which continued it's intensity for about 45 minuites. "Reduce" supercell potential? Any rotating storms will be embedded in the heavier rain bands ahead of the cold front. Any sustained thunderstorm that can tap into surface parcels will be able to drop tornadoes...

Originally posted by HAltschule

I am not sure what you mean here... heavy rainfall doesn't necessarily lower the risk of tornadoes, it just lowers the chances of you actually seeing them :wink:

Tornado watch in place for extreme sw Ontario (Sarnia-Windsor-London area, basically near the Detroit border), and severe thunderstorm watches are up for all of southern Ontario, as well as high wind warnings.

I was extremely disturbed how news 5 in Nashville was more interested in showing the CMAs than keeping people informed of the situation. Even if they did continue the wx coverage on another channel it gives the impression that the wx isn't that severe anymore. I could tell the local met wasn't too happy about that.

\"Reduce\" supercell potential? Any rotating storms will be embedded in the heavier rain bands ahead of the cold front. Why would you be surprised to see tornado potential in an area with >500m2/s2 0-1km SRH invof warm front with 50-60Tds in the middle of NOV?

Well...as I mentioned, certainly the dynamics are in place and would highly favor supercells and tornadoes if the thermnodynamic and kinematic profiles were supportive of sustained convection. I don't see much instability at the surface or even aloft. In fact, with a lack of elevated instability, rain cooled air and loss of any diurnal heating there was, there is little left to sustain these severe, tornado warned storms. Significant CINH and LI's are above zero for just about all of Michigan. All of these ingredients tell me that there is little to keep these storms organized or severe.

While a very small portion of extreme southern MI may see some isolated strong winds in the very near term, I'd expect much of that stuff to start to fizzle and become more of a rain area with embedded TRW. We shall see. But I would be very surprised to see any severe weather in these areas.

Originally posted by Ryan McGinnis
Not to clutter up a NOW thread with something slightly off topic, but does anyone know what's up with COD? I'm at work and don't have GRLevel3 with me, and I feel like I'm missing the superbowl here.

Don't know if you got this resolved. COD is working for me. You can also use Ucar radar for free http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar/

There is also intellicast.

Hmm....thought this was a PM.

Sad reports. I hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

TN: POSSIBLE TORNADO.... SEVERAL HOUSES HIT ON HWY 13...KIDS MISSING....TRACTOR TRAILER TRUCK OVERTURNED. HARDEST HIT AREA IS MARION ROAD IN THE CUNNINGHAM COMMUNITY.

Paris, TN: *** 12 INJ *** TORNADO DAMAGE TO THE SHADY GROVE ROAD AREA. BUILDING DESTROYED WITH INJURIES.

Back