11/14/05 (late)-11/15/05 NOW: Midwest-Mississippi Valley

Is that a funnel I see off in the distance on the Memphis webcam?

Just above the highway on the right:
20051115_hiltoncam.jpg

Verne - I wondered the same thing when WREG was showing these shots ... it looks like it could be, judging from the placement of what looks like a clear slot just to its south, but impossible to tell with that kind of pixelation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Memphis is only reporting hail damage so far, I think ... Jackson reports tornado damage, but that's the nearest I am aware of for sure.

Originally posted by HAltschule
Tornado reported in Ellettsville, IN. The same LSR says debris is reportedly falling from the sky in Bloomington proper. WOW

That storm has been sustained for quite a while now... Very strong low-level couplet just to the east of BMG -- and about right over Nashville, IN. I wouldn't be surprised if a tornado is on the ground right now... Crazy storm!

0428 PM TORNADO 1 N ELLETTSVILLE 39.25N 86.62W
11/15/2005 MONROE IN AMATEUR RADIO

DEBRIS IS ALSO BEING REPORTED FALLING FROM THE SKY IN
BLOOMINGTON

Verne,

I ran it through my image programs and couldn't pull it out enough to determine. Its placement in the storm with that picture makes you wonder, but I cannot say for sure.

Storm east of Bloomington showing a nice hook on latest scan. Also some potential showing up in the storm just to the Southwest of IND.

It's been amazing to watch KPAH radar today, with there being times when there were 5-7 different intense couplets across the area. The intensity and number of low-leve mesos have been impressive, but I've also been equally impressed by the number of BWERs associated with many of these supercells!

EDIT: Can't forget the intense, very persistent meso with the storm down near the junction of Hemphys, Benton and Houston counties in TN! That has been a very large couplet that has persisted for well over 90 minutes continuously and covered more than 60 miles.

Wow. Out of nowhere an isolated cell has just exploded in Wayne County, Tennesee, including the city of Waynesboro. There is a tornado warning on the storm indicating a possible tornado 29 miles southwest of Waynesboro hauling northeast at 45 mph. This storm is just exploding in intensity and a shear couplet is beginning to show up on the southwest side of the cell. This cell has the benefit of being completley isolated , with a lack of any other storms in a fifty mile radius. This storm will likely produce a tornado, possibly a strong one, in the next half hour. Unfortunately, the city of Waynesboro lies directly in its path. I don't have a good feeling about this cell at all. There is nothing to stop this storm. :shock: I pray for the city of Waynesboro.

Originally posted by Bill Hark
Interesting observation: I have been following the different parameters during this outbreak and have noticed that the SPS Mesoanalysis Sig Tornado numbers have been low .5 to 2, only recently a small area of 3 in west TN. In the past during outbreaks, I've seen much higher numbers.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis.../s2/index2.html

Bill Hark
http://www.harkphoto.com

I noticed this also. I haven't done the math, but I suspect it's the relatively low instability that is keeping the sig tor index down. When you think about it, it's absolutely incredible that we're seeing a major tornadic outbreak occurring in areas where the CAPE is mostly under 1000 according to SPC mesoanalysis. Clearly strong wind fields and high shear trump low instability when it comes to strong tornados.

Terra Haute is in the path of a tornado warned storm moving NE 50mph. Radar showing decent returns as it flies in that direction. Residents of Terra Haute are hopefully taking cover as this storm will be on them in no time at all.

Back