06/06/05 TALK: Northeastern US / N. Plains

Just checked SPC's website and it looks like they are lookung to upgrade a good portion of the northeastern US into a MOD category on the 1630 update.

Severe WW has already been issued for upstate NY and a good portion of PA.

Discussion shows it will include:

INCLUDES CENTRAL AND ERN PA...CENTRAL AND ERN NY...NRN NJ...WRN CT...WRN MA AND WRN VT.

EDIT: SPC also issued a small MOD risk for portions of the N. Plains including Eastern Montana, WRN No. Dakota and NW S. Dakota.

Also out is the PWO @ http://spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/pwo.html

Yeah, never seen that before, an MD just to say that the risk is upgraded with no other information. Guess I'll have to wait for the 16:30z outlook for the details. This is in my backyard, so I'm going to have to give it a shot... Hopefully any good stuff will wait until after I get off work (sigh).

Wicked bow echo crossing the NY/CT-MA border attm with wind damage and hail reported upstreams so will keep watching... ETA 45 min...

Looks like my secret Thedford, Nebraska target today isn't much of a secret anymore. That's a long red box. And I dig the language too: "isolated tornadoes will occur with any supercells that develop." They must think this is 2004 or something...LOL.

Standing by in TIF for imminent torandogenesis.

Off topic, but check out the radar presentation on the storm north of Roswell! 80 knots of shear across the mesocyclone and an impressive hook.

Things appear to be getting very interesting in McCook, NE shortly with two cells approaching. The second looks to track a bit south, but if the first develops a hook McCook could be right in the path.

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE

I just heard from Charles Edwards of Cloud 9 Tours at 7:25 EDT. He is filming a white stovepipe tornado 5 miles north of Arthur, Nebraska in Arthur County. That's north of Ogalla. Not much else in htat area. Congrats to Charles!!

Bill Hark
http://www.harkphoto.com

Tornadoes in Nebraska
637 PM TORNADO 16 SW MULLEN 41.88N 101.26W
06/06/2005 HOOKER NE FIRE DEPT/RESCUE
A TORNADO WAS REPORTED 16 MILES SOUTHWEST OF MULLEN

0625 PM TORNADO 5 NE ARTHUR 41.62N 101.62W
06/06/2005 ARTHUR NE STORM CHASER
PROFESSION STORM CHASERS RECORDED ON VIDEO 2 TORNADOS 5 NE OF ARTHUR

0615 PM TORNADO 40 S MULLEN 41.46N 101.04W
06/06/2005 MCPHERSON NE TRAINED SPOTTER
A TRAINED SPOTTER REPORTED A TORNADO 40 MILES SOUTH AND 12 MILES WEST OF MULLEN

620 PM TORNADO ARTHUR 41.57N 101.69W
06/06/2005 ARTHUR NE EMERGENCY MNGR
JD COMMUNICATIONS REPORTED A TORNADO UNKNOWN DISTANCE NE OF ARTHUR
Mike

Only minutes after I posted this, I took off for the storms developing around North Platte. I met the Arthur County storm (and Steve Peterson) in Arthur and followed it east where it produced two great tornadoes, an elephant trunk and a tall stovepipe. Despite the sandhills, we had a great view and the road network was not altogether terrible for that area.

I'll post a proper report in the right place and a few stills within two hours.

Amos

Originally posted by Amos Magliocco
Looks like my secret Thedford, Nebraska target today isn't much of a secret anymore. That's a long red box. And I dig the language too: \"isolated tornadoes will occur with any supercells that develop.\" They must think this is 2004 or something...LOL.

Standing by in TIF for imminent torandogenesis.

Back