Chase Case #6 (2010 Version)

I never made it past hwy 54, cut off there at 18z or just before and headed up toward Jefferson City, MO. Will make it to I-70 by 20z. Never been in the area, but looks like there is a lot more farm land along I-70 than if you drop south of there to hwy 50. I suppose with a virtual case you just want to get to the storm, but I sure do like open areas when I'm chasing.

I'll have an update available sometime tomorrow. I've been so swamped today that I haven't had time to post the 19z - 20z updates. :D

I'll have an update available sometime tomorrow. I've been so swamped today that I haven't had time to post the 19z - 20z updates. :D

If I haven't said so already, Jesse, thanks for putting this case together. You do a a great job, and I think I can safely speak for everyone here in saying we really appreciate your time and effort.

It's now 20z; there will be another suite of surface and radar updates at approximately 21z - 22z.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Surface Data
19z National Satellite/Surface Composite
20z National Satellite/Surface Composite
20z Wichita, KS Regional (ICT)
20z Evansville, IN Regional (EVV)
* Note: no 19z regional surface maps were available

Radar Data
19z National Radar Composite
20z National Radar Composite
19z Central Mississippi Composite
1930z Central Mississippi Composite
20z Central Mississippi Composite
2030z Central Mississippi Composite

Visible Satellite Imagery
19z National Satellite Imagery
20z National Satellite Imagery
1845z Evansville, IN Regional Composite (EVV)
1915z Evansville, IN Regional Composite (EVV)
1945z Evansville, IN Regional Composite (EVV)
2015z Evansville, IN Regional Composite (EVV)

Warnings

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED TORNADO WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA 255 PM CDT

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DES MOINES HAS ISSUED A * TORNADO WARNING FOR... EASTERN CLARKE COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL IOWA. SOUTHWESTERN WARREN COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL IOWA. * UNTIL 330 PM CDT. * AT 253 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS STORM WAS LOCATED 6 MILES NORTHEAST OF OSCEOLA...OR 35 MILES SOUTH OF DES MOINES...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH.
warning1.png

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED TORNADO WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA 322 PM CDT

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DES MOINES HAS ISSUED A * TORNADO WARNING FOR... DAVIS COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST IOWA. * UNTIL 400 PM CDT.
warning2.png

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED TORNADO WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA 357 PM CDT

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DES MOINES HAS ISSUED A * TORNADO WARNING FOR... EASTERN DAVIS COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST IOWA. * UNTIL 415 PM CDT. * AT 356 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR WAS TRACKING A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH A CONFIRMED TORNADO NEAR ELDON...OR 14 MILES NORTHWEST OF KEOSAUQUA. THE STORM WAS MOVING NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH.
warning3.png

Watches

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
TORNADO WATCH
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
325 PM CDT
THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A
TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

NC AND NE ARKANSAS / THE MO BOOTHEEL

EFFECTIVE FROM 325 PM UNTIL 900 PM CDT.
watch1.png

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
TORNADO WATCH
350 PM CDT
THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A
TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

SOUTHEAST IOWA
CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
SOUTHEAST MISSOURI

EFFECTIVE FROM 350 PM UNTIL 1100 PM CDT.
watch2.png

MDs

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION
0316 PM CDT
AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL/ERN MO CONCERNING...TORNADO WATCH

CONTINUE WW. POTENTIAL FOR TORNADOES MAY INCREASE NEXT FEW HOURS ACROSS PARTS OF NORTHEAST/EAST CENTRAL MISSOURI.
mcd-1.gif

Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast.

Sitting here in Memphis, MO I'm going to try my hardest to keep up with these tornado warnings just to my north in Davis County, IA. Although with a northeast motion of 50 mph, and the fact that its Iowa, I doubt I'll be able to keep up. I don't see much of a play otherwise as the line looks pretty solid all the way down to southern MO. Eyeing those cells in northern AR, I'd love to be down there right about now. I'm also pretty sure I recognize the date, so I'll probably have to step out at this point, but feel I should give one last update given my current position.

Looks like I was possibly in position to witness the tornado near Eldon, IA, as I am sure I would of hopped on that storm since it initiated just WNW of Lancaster. Tracking east with the line of storms as they cross the warm front. If I have to cross the MS river I think my best option is to cross at Burlington, or Muscatine if I have to move north with the storms. Watching the stuff to the south as well.

Given I would've made Hannibal by about 1930Z, seeing those first echoes go up to my southwest would've triggered a subsequent movement to the southwest. I'd be taking U.S. 61 down to Bowling Green then 161 to state road K near New Hartford and then west to try to get to that cell. Regardless, once that storm passes me by, I'm pretty much done due to storm motion and the lack of a well-placed bridge crossing. So unless something goes up to the west of the lines, this is all or nothing for me.

Would have took me about 30mins to get to the IA border from Kirksville MO, so I'm going to play that stuff. If my last position was 18z-19z, that gave me an hour to an hour-half to play with given the new 20z data. I'm not sure I could have made it to Eldon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back