Chase Case #6 (2010 Version)

There's no question I would be able to catch the Davis, Co. tornadic storm from my position in Memphis. I will follow that for as long as I can after that I will try to catch storms to my south. Other than that my chase is done. Thanks (Jesse) for doing this and have a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to all. :)

EDIT: I guess the storm might be moving too fast hopefully I would have had a head start before the TOR was issued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I had a bad feeling that I should either stay put or head east, shouldn't have went south to St. Joseph, MO. Looks like this will likely be a bust for me, but since home is north I'm going to turn around and head back to the north back to Clarinda, IA should be there around 21z. There are a couple of cells in SW IA that I'll probably take a look at, if they show promise I'll stick with it, otherwise I'm heading home.

Looks like Memphis was a good choice. It was a quick scoot back into Iowa, where I'm presently on the Davis County tornado-warned cell and watching what's happening with the rest of the line.

Made the super quick drive N from Lancaster, MO and am now on the Davis County storm. Tough to say if I would've seen the Eldon tornado but I certainly would've been in range. Will continue to follow this cell to the NE for a little bit before it gets really messy.

Left Macon headed east on 36 after seeing what was happening south of Macon. Im now east of Monroe City headed across the river into Illinios. I think i can make it to hwy 72 before the line from the south makes it there. I will then follow the line as it moves east along hwy 72.

Stout cell in east Sullivan Cty, MO caught my eye at 20Z radar. Moving about 8 mi. north on Rt. 15 to try & line up with it.

2030Z, that cell lost its punch over Adair Cty, MO. However, cell north of it at north Shuyler Cty, MO just got tornado warned and surface winds look better up there now too. Estimating 40 mph storm motion to the NE, I'll try to intercept that cell near Libertyville, IA by 2130Z.

2100Z--halfway there, I realize there's no way I'm going to catch it, since it's moving 50 mph NE and it's already less than 10 miles SW of Libertyville. My only hope in to jet east in case something down the line distinguishes itself. Farmington, IA by 2130Z. It's probably over for me though. Wish I would've stayed in Milton...that extra 20 minutes might have made the difference on the Elden storm : )

Looks like the isolated storms will be further south of me. I want to be on any supercells ahead of the line. Moving south to Union City, TN. I can make it in about 3 hours.

Nailed the Eldon storm... sat in Centerville and intercepted it 20 miles E of C-ville and tracked it up to Eldon. But scrolling down and seeing the MD I know what day this is now.

Looks like I was sitting in the right spot, followed the storm via Co-J15 and saw a funnel drop out.

I was also in Centerville, IA following Danny when he mysteriously disappeared into thin air shortly after scoring on the Eldon storm. All I heard over the radio was "I know what day this is..." then static and his vehicle was gone!

I was also in Centerville, IA following Danny when he mysteriously disappeared into thin air shortly after scoring on the Eldon storm. All I heard over the radio was "I know what day this is..." then static and his vehicle was gone!

I pushed the self-destruct button.

Based on the 1915 and 1945 satellite image, I would have bit on the second line of storms and headed west 20 miles to close in, getting to Glenwood/Lancaster, MO at 2015Z. At 2022Z I would be well positioned to jump on the Davis County warning and head north 20 miles on Hwy 63 to intercept the cell somewhere between Lancaster and Bloomfield, IA. By the time the tornado was reported near Eldon, I would have been following the cell but possibly keeping it is sight from maybe 5 miles behind.

Had I hung back too far east with the 18Z updates, this would have be out of play for me. Pleased I could forecast a rapidly developing day and move in westward to meet it. Plus got to meet some chasers in Memphis, MO.

I'd like to think I stayed in that little gap in the squall line and kept my Subaru from getting pummeled as the 50mph line raced past me.

Given the fast storm motion I likely would have headed North out of Macon to intercept the embedded cell to the West of Kirksville/Queen City. Probably would have had one good play on it before it raced by. Wouldn't stop me from giving chase anyways :D

Back