CHASE CASE #3

Thanks for putting together another great scenario, it's helping make these negative degree days in Colorado go by a little quicker! :D

Darn right Scott! The -10 at my house this morning is just a tad chilly.

For the first time in a while I was not to far east on one of these cases. I did not chase this day in real life, but virtually bagged the cyclic tornadic cell near Concorida. Yes waitress...I will have the virtual sauteed mushrooms with my virtual filet mignon! :D

Thanks to Danny for a putting this together.

Nice I nailed the tornadoes on the S KS storm as it produced some of the better tornadoes of that day.

I did not chase this day in real life too, I left before on may 18th; in this virtual chase probably I would have intercepted Belleville-Hebron tornadoes.

I consider this virtual chase a "partial failure" because on may 29th 2004 the most incredible storms were along the dryline in Harper-Anthony-Conway Spring territory. Some of the tornadoes dropped down were simply huge and outstanding. Chasing in north-central Ks/southern Ne that day meant losing those fantastic Crystal/Conway Spring monsters, even if you could get at least one nice cone near Jamestown, Ks and Belleville.
Actually in real life I don't know what I would have done: you never know how many things can make you change your plan. Maybe I would have arrived only to south central Ks because the day before I was chasing too far away. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of those who chased in SC Kansas that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't chase this day either, but a good friend did chase with limited resources and scored big. Ted Keller chased with some friends and scored multiple tornadoes near the town of Anthony, Ks. Here is links to his videos of this event near the Wichita area.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WeathermanTed#p/c/749B29353D272C48/5/91SZ1D_nzlY

http://www.youtube.com/user/WeathermanTed#p/c/749B29353D272C48/6/1ekCXd6wIns

Great Job on your first case Danny! This was an awesome day!!

Ehi Matt, very nice videos! Ted made a really good job.

Looks like I would have been in the right place for the NC KS tubes so I am calling this one a success. Danny, thanks for putting this together.

Cool...I think I would have bagged most if not all the naders that dropped from that Haper Co/Sumner Co Supercell. Thanks for putting this together Danny.

I had to bow out of this chase case early because I recognized the set up and date. This day (5-29-04) was a special day for me for a number of reasons one of which was filming a record 17-18 tornadoes in 2.5 hours. Another was becuase I took a direct hit from a sat. tornado which injured me pretty bad.
I have posted a link below to the some video from that day from our show "Tornado Hunters"....was a crazy day!!!!!! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NtOrMcuSxY

I had to bow out of this chase case early because I recognized the set up and date. This day (5-29-04) was a special day for me for a number of reasons one of which was filming a record 17-18 tornadoes in 2.5 hours. Another was becuase I took a direct hit from a sat. tornado which injured me pretty bad.
I have posted a link below to the some video from that day from our show "Tornado Hunters"....was a crazy day!!!!!! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NtOrMcuSxY

I LOVE THE QUOTE IN TORNADO HUNTERS, "WE AREN'T AFTER THE BLEEPING NORMAN ROCKWELL VIEW". PRICELESS. . .

Probably would've gotten the tornado in Brown Co., SD...along with plenty of wind and hail...another busted vehicle for me for this year's virtual chases lol

I did not participate in this case because I got in very late, and soon after I did get caught up on reading everything became suspicious this was the date. In real life I chased this day. After getting suckered a little too far north by earlier storms, I played catch-up with the monster HP supercell that moved across OK. Saw 4+ inch hailstones on the ground near Thomas, OK, at least 3 or 4 funnels, and strong anti-cyclonic rotation and funnel near Calumet. The latter may have been the last in the string of tornadoes near Calumet; couldn't tell for sure as my view of the surface under the funnel was blocked by trees. I missed the earlier, more obvious tornadoes near Calumet as I was trying to get back to the storm after I had to detour south to I-40 to cross the Canadian River.

Back