Daylight Saving Time

There's a big push right now to adopt DST in Indiana. I'm all for it, but only if we go with Eastern. Unfortunately, the geniuses in charge seem to be mostly for Central. Our summer sunsets will be exactly the same, but our December sunsets will be just after FOUR IN THE AFTERNOON!!! Idiots.

Ya know, David, I still sometimes talk about that chase we did the night DST went into effect in 2003! Hey I'm doing it again!

For those who don't know (most of you), we chased until after midnight around Gainesville, drove back to DFW, cruised around for a while for an "acceptable" motel (I am anal about getting a ground-floor room I can park the car near), went to Denny's for breakfast, and finally got to sleep near sunrise.

The salt-in-the-wounds was that we also lost that hour of sleep from the time change, and got about 3 hour's sleep before needing to get up to get out for check-out time, LOL!

11 AM checkouts suck, especially when it's "really" 10 AM, and 9 AM if you factor in that I live in the Mountain Time Zone.

Yeesh.

Then I was in trouble with the g/f because I never checked in the night before to let her know I was OK, LOL.

Ahh, the Good Ole Days.

Bring on spring!

Bob

Man what a period of chasing that was! Ended up the next day a few miles from Louisiana and then back to DFW and I made the trek the NEXT day to chase with Graham down somewhere east of Ft. Stockton on I20 and then drove all the way back home after the storms died. Days like that make you really appreciate just how really big TX is!

If I wanted the sun to rise at 3am I'd move to Alaska, otherwise I'll stick to DST. Maybe we should go back to the old system where every town was on a different time. Or maybe we should go the way of the Chinese and get rid of time zones. The entire country of China is on one time. China is a big country, if they had time zones it would probably span 4, just like the continental US.

The one thing I like about being on CST is that I don't have to stay up 'til 1 AM for the SWODY1. :)

No, instead you get to stay up til 2 am. :wink:

Huh? :? 0600 UTC=1:00 AM CDT, 12:00 AM CST. That was my point. All the outlooks come out 1 hour earlier on CST compared to CDT.

The one thing I like about being on CST is that I don't have to stay up 'til 1 AM for the SWODY1. :)

No, instead you get to stay up til 2 am. :wink:

Huh? :? 0600 UTC=1:00 AM CDT, 12:00 AM CST. That was my point. All the outlooks come out 1 hour earlier on CST compared to CDT.

Ok, first Day1 outlook comes out 06Z. During CST we are -6 from Zulu time. During CDT we are -5 from Zulu time. So right now, the outlooks should be coming out at midnight 00:00 CDT. When the time changes an hour forward, we will be -5 which will make the outlooks come out 01:00 CST.

But your right, from our point of view in Central time, they should be out an hour earlier now. But, if history is any indicator, all the days we are anxiously waiting to see what they pop out, the outlooks usually linger til 2 a.m. seems like, which was my point. :lol:

OK, IT HAPPENED! Someone posted it to WXCHASE! :lol:

With the approach of Daylight Saving Time, I'm mildly disappointed that the list has not generated the annual discussion of the magical extra
hour of chase time that Daylight Savings Time creates.

I love DST and its late sunsets. I wish we had it here in AZ :( So very hard to sleep in when the sun's up before 5:30 in high summer...

Originally posted by David Drummond

With the approach of Daylight Saving Time, I'm mildly disappointed that the list has not generated the annual discussion of the magical extra

True, but it was posted in humor.

Originally posted by Scott Taylor+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scott Taylor)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-David Drummond

True, but it was posted in humor.[/b]

True, but it WAS the first post about it to WXCHASE. Makes you wonder though, since it pops up every year, how many people ACTUALLY BELIEVE there is an extra hour of heating when the time changes. I remember a rather heated discussion on WXCHASE about that a few years ago.

heh, I do too actually. Then for a year or two Bill Reid jokingly posted about it to see how many people would bite and correct him, lol!

I'm not going to jump into the "extra heating" debate, but all I know is it gives an extra evening of daylight to chase in! :D In reality, that's all tha tmatters to me!

Originally posted by Tony Laubach
I'm not going to jump into the \"extra heating\" debate, but all I know is it gives an extra evening of daylight to chase in! :D In reality, that's all tha tmatters to me!

Or to do ANYTHING for that matter. I am absolutely NOT a morning person, so I rather like it when it doesn't get dark til around 10 pm!

Back