May 1st

• Thread starter Mike Hollingshead
  • Start date
Ok this is getting out of hand... I can handle not having many chase days in April as we always have May but its now May 2nd and here in Amarillo we have 2-3 inches of snow on the ground and its still snowing!!!!!!!! :eek: This is nuts. I cant remember the last time it snowed in the panhandle in May. The SPC had to actually issue a mesoscale discussion on heavy snow for the NW panhandle this morning.

At least there looks to be light at the end of the tunnel and a dryline event possiblefor this weekend around here.Vacation starts in 16 days and I am wearing a sweater and a coat and having to sweep off my truck to go to work. :evil:

Well, I seen a huge tornadic supercell, that I tracked from SE AR into NC MS on Friday night... So my SDS is cured and I don't have much of a problem with waiting a few more days until the next system rolls around... :wink:

Well, I seen a huge tornadic supercell, that I tracked from SE AR into NC MS on Friday night... So my SDS is cured and I don't have much of a problem with waiting a few more days until the next system rolls around... :wink:

Huge tornado supercell...but you came back tornado less...for shame! :wink:

I'm just holding my patience. It's hard...but at this time last year, I had still only had one successful chase. while I've not seen any tornadoes this year, I have had several exciting outings already. All is not lost yet, by a few out of place cold days.

I guess it's time for Uncle Shane to come in and settle down the brats...get over it. We had this same talk last year, same time, and look what happened. Stop looking at the calendar and start believing in trends. Changes are inevitable, and because we're currently in a funk, that can only mean the pattern shift (which will happen) will be a good thing.

Come see me at the end of the month, with stories of your multiple tornado intercepts...and I'll tell you what silly a**es you all were during the beginning of the month.

(sigh) kids...

Leave it to Shane to put it bluntly and to the point. :wink:

I have no doubt the trend will change starting this weekend with a chase in the panhandle. The only gripe I have isnt about chasing. its about it snowing in amarillo in May!! this is only the 2nd time it has happened and the last time was May 6th, 1917!! so this is a 100yr type event. and it wasnt flurries. it was 4 inches of heavy wet snow. alot of tree branches snapped due to the sheer weight.

Ugggg, they lowered our high today....we won't even see 50. It's currently 41F here at my house, cloudy and wet outside. I won't be going out! This officially sucks now. :(

Amarillo has really seen its share of the white stuff this year ... a lot more than we got up here ...

I think years like this are pretty interesting ... usually by now we're running the air conditioner instead of the furnace ... but I also have no doubt that we will see things swing toward spring soon. The patience with things getting kicked off chase-wise is just one thing that a person picks up after living in this part of the country for a while ... we just have to go with the flow. It probably means a lot more when people are planning vacations or chase trips around dates on the calendar. During this week two years ago we were starting a ten day stretch of non-stop insanely severe weather - but up until it began there hadn't really been much going on. So have faith - things will get interesting soon.

Leave it to Shane to put it bluntly and to the point. :wink:

I have no doubt the trend will change starting this weekend with a chase in the panhandle. The only gripe I have isnt about chasing. its about it snowing in amarillo in May!! this is only the 2nd time it has happened and the last time was May 6th, 1917!! so this is a 100yr type event. and it wasnt flurries. it was 4 inches of heavy wet snow. alot of tree branches snapped due to the sheer weight.

Sounds like we left Amarillo at just the right time and migrated south again! LOL I am like you, not griping so much about not having chasing as the fact is it's May and I want to get OUTSIDE and do some stuff!

I'm sitting on top of Mount Washington right now. Temp is 25 and we are in a heavy snow shower. I have been shovelling snow up here since October. Needless to say I am very ready for some warmer weather. I'm flying to Dallas on Thursday for my chase vacation. I hope things turnaround. I'm nott to worried though, considering there is nothing I can do about it.

Exactly my point David... Forget SDS... I have cabin fever. I can only spent so much time on the pc playing games or watching tv. I need some sun and fun soon.

David you better pull that van in the garage to work on it or bundle up. Either way you have until saturday morning to get it done so we can go play on the dryline :wink:

And yes Mike we are way above nromal in snow. We have had 38.8 inches which is 21.4 above normal. At least the ground is warm so it only stuck to grass, trees and cars.

Exactly my point David... Forget SDS... I have cabin fever. I can only spent so much time on the pc playing games or watching tv. I need some sun and fun soon.

David you better pull that van in the garage to work on it or bundle up. Either way you have until saturday morning to get it done so we can go play on the dryline :wink:

Unfortunately my garage isn't suitable or big enough to get it in. When we move again, that is one feature I am DEFINITELY hoping will be an upgrade. I really wanted to get out and work today. This weather is really depressing and tomorrow isn't looking any better, a little warmer, but 50% chance of rain and if the models are true, looks like we'll get it. I never thought I would say this either, but I am a little tired of playing games for a bit too! :( Well, at least it's not snowing here. hehe

I guess it's time for Uncle Shane to come in and settle down the brats...get over it. We had this same talk last year, same time, and look what happened. Stop looking at the calendar and start believing in trends. Changes are inevitable, and because we're currently in a funk, that can only mean the pattern shift (which will happen) will be a good thing.

Come see me at the end of the month, with stories of your multiple tornado intercepts...and I'll tell you what silly a**es you all were during the beginning of the month.

(sigh) kids...

Totally agreed. The same kind of talk happens EVERY year, and 2004 was looking like CRAP in the beggining of the month, and look what kind of year that turned out to be (GFS looks way better then this time last year)...

Well, speaking of snow in late April / early May........I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that my folks met at some dingy little bar in Seward Nebraska on their way home from college along with about 500 other students that were stranded in Seward during a early May blizzard. This would have been 1950 or so. One was headed home to Albion, the other home to Norfolk. So you see........good things can happen in times of weird weather.
As for me, I always kinda dug playing house and snuggling up with some little coed during those late spring blizzards. Yousa. Joel

Back