4/2/06 NOW: Midwest/Southern Plains/TN and OH Valleys

Hey Y'all....The Supercells approaching Memphis, TN that are TOR warned just might be splitting with a distinct right mover taking shape. This would certainly enhance the tornado potential for the city of Memphis.
[/b]

Hey, i won't take credit for the Memphis tornado scenario. When this comment was made earlier, I wasn't sure it would take shape, but it appears you were right HAltshule.

A new storm is taking shape in the bootheel of MO NW of the original storm. This one looks to be getting its act together quickly.

it appears that the next city in the eye's of the big storm is dyersburg, tn which has a pop. of nearly 20,000. Memphis is about to be under the gun as well. if the dyersburg supercell holds together it could end up real close to nashville or my town, murfreesboro.

the latest SPC MD regarding the arkansas, missouri bootheel, tennessee, and kentucky sups.
LONG TRACK SIGNIFICANT TORNADOES WILL REMAIN POSSIBLE OVER THE NEXT HOUR.
THE SEVERE THREAT SHOULD CONTINUE EWD INTO CNTRL TN AND CNTRL KY AS
THE SUPERCELLS TRACK EWD. LARGE HAIL...WIND DAMAGE AND TORNADOES
WILL CONTINUE TO BE POSSIBLE THROUGH LATE THIS EVENING.

Parts of wester Memphis metro now under a tornado warning. This storm is going through some very odd evolution. Not sure if there's still a tornado on the ground or not, but there is still some signs of rotation at the lower levels. It looks as though there may be two small areas of rotation in the storm; one moving directly east toward Memphis, and one moving NE toward the northern Memphis metro. This should be interesting to watch.

Live news coverage of Memphis tornado situation.
http://www.wmcstations.com/
click on the Action 5 Weatherplus banner at top of page...

tornado warning just issued for wayne county TN. rapidly intensifying supercell showing some pretty decent rotation moving towards waynesboro.

also, new storms developing NE of little rock. its goin to be a long night here in Mid TN

A tornado has hit Millsfield in Dyer County, TN. There are numerous homes being reported destryoed and injuries. Same storm is moving through Carroll County, TN attm with some 120kt gate to gate shear indicated still! Very strong mesocyclone is ongoing there.

Rutherford, TN looks to be under the gun for a second tornado tonight. There is an amazing hook on the storm just NW of Rutherford. Also looks like a long track type supercell.

Tornado is about to move through Hopkinsville, KY, a fairly populated area. We have friends who live there. I hope they're taking cover now.

Here is a Level 3 shot of the main tornadic storm from KPAH.

Wow...maxed out per level 3.

EDIT: Reports also coming in from the town of Caruthersville, AR just across the TN state line of people trapped in buildings with several injuries reported. The town is completely closed to all outside traffic.

There is a cell directly in between Memphis and Jackson, Tn that was starting to get its act together about 2 hours ago but was cut off by the sup that moved through Memphis. Now that it is no longer ingesting the other cells outflow I think it could explode and be the next long track storm. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. The storm is still small now but gut tells me it is going to be a bad situation.

UPDATE...STATE POLICE REPORT LOTS OF DAMAGE. NUMEROUS
HOMES DESTROYED AND MOBLE HOMES OVERTURNED FROM PRINCETON
ROAD TO THE PENNYRILE PARKWAY. LSR REPORTED BY WFO
PADUCAH KENTUCKY.

0923 PM TORNADO 4 N HOPKINSVILLE 36.91N 87.49W
04/02/2006 CHRISTIAN KY LAW ENFORCEMENT

UPDATE...NUMEROUS HOMES DESTROYED ALONG PRINCETON,
GREENVILLE AND BILLY GOAT ROADS. POWER LINES DOWN AND GAS
LINES ERUPTING. LAW ENFORCEMENT, FIRE DEPT AND EM
SEARCHING FOR VICTIMS AT THIS TIME. LSR REPORTED BY WFO
PADUCAH KENTUCKY.
[/b]

Wow! That's some pretty substantial wording. I knew when I saw that couplet on the RVs something pretty significant was taking place. On the base reflectivity, dust could be seen either blowing from the RFD or being kicked up by very impressive inflow. Fortunately, the storm passed north of downtown Hopkinsiville,KY.

It is really interesting seeing these storm form a line and then breaking into classic sups as soon as they move into the eastern most counties in Ar. There is something in that area that is just setting these storms off.

im in for a long night. the tornado watch is set to expire at 1 am. its looking more like it'll be a 3-4 am type deal. that gibson county supercell is headed right for me, 30 miles south of nashville.

Some pretty strong wording from SPC
DIAGNOSTIC TRENDS ARE SHOWING RAPID RECOVERY INTO MIDDLE TN WHERE SIG TOR VALUES ARE NOW APPROACHING 8. TORNADIC THREAT REMAINS HIGH ACROSS THIS REGION FOR
THE NEXT FEW HOURS...WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR STRONG TORNADOES

If the current trend continues then the line of storms from Memphis to Little Rock will begin to seperate as they move into Northern Ms and extreme S TN and will form a line of sups from E-W and the southeastern part of the line will remain together. Some of these could be affecting the Memphis, Tn and South Haven, Ms areas. Hopefully this doesn't happen because those areas have high concentrations of residential housing.

If the current trend continues then the line of storms from Memphis to Little Rock will begin to seperate as they move into Northern Ms and extreme S TN and will form a line of sups from E-W and the southeastern part of the line will remain together. Some of these could be affecting the Memphis, Tn and South Haven, Ms areas. Hopefully this doesn't happen because those areas have high concentrations of residential housing.
[/b]

The line does indeed appear to be segmenting at this time. My home town got hit with minor damage just a mile west of my home here in Marion, AR (just west of Memphis, TN). I believe we are in the clear though because this line is still pushing eastward and these cells appear to be moving due east as well. Something would have to turn northeast-ward to put MEG under the gun again.

Unbelievable. Monster hook evolving in Madison Co. TN (the coutny I was surprised to see only an SVR for). I thought that MEG would have scrambled a TOR by now. I think if theres not already a tornado down there will be in a couple minutes.
[/b]

Finally called just now, TOR warning for Madison Co.

0119Z SWODY 1 squeezes the MDT into all of west Tennessee and Kentucky though 1200Z...

We are in the SLT here in north Alabama--it will be interesting to see how far south the line in Arkansas will hang.

Back