4/2/06 NOW: Midwest/Southern Plains/TN and OH Valleys

The supercell north of Jonesboro, AR looks like a long-track type storm given it's isolation. I understand the conditions in NE AR aren't extremely conducive to long-track tornadoes, but it has shown significant rotation for the last couple of hours and has also been tornado warned for a similar time frame.

Hey Y'all....The Supercells approaching Memphis, TN that are TOR warned just might be splitting with a distinct right mover taking shape. This would certainly enhance the tornado potential for the city of Memphis.

The storm is now taking a ragged but apparent "flying eagle" appearance.
Edit: The storm north of Jonesboro. I thought nobody had posted anything and was expecting this post to be added to my last post. Sorry for the noise.

Which one? Quote "MOD NOTE: There are over 16 tornado warnings right now, please make sure to provide supporting observations/information in your comments. Just pasting a tornado warning and saying 'wow' is a violation of our noise rules."

PS: Tornado Damage reported near Pocahontas, AR and 4.25" hail confirmed doing damage in the same area. Also, 2.75" hail in Birdtown, AR caused structural damage. LSR states it was the 2nd supercell with hail to hit the town this afternoon.

the storm north of jonesboro looks very healthy, and is aproaching much better chase terrain. hopefully somebody is down there. it is by far the best storm of the day!

strong rotation on the jonesboro storm eveident on memphis radar, good hook as well. i wouldny be surprised if there was a strong tornado produced by this storm in the next hour or two. meanwhile, the storms aproaching memphis appear to be loosing intensity. maybe they're just going through a phase.

Tornado warning for Polk and Jasper Counties in Iowa:

Two chasers from ISU were watching some rotation that neared the ground a few times just to the NE of Mitchellville about 5 minutes ago.
This is the same storm that apparently produced a tornado north of Runnels. I'm suspricious of that report because it was from an airplane, and from that angle it could have been funnels or scud hanging that looked like it was on the ground. There were also a large amount of public reported funnels from the mostly stratiform showers over Des Moines about that time.
It is hard to follow these storms and their rotation as they are pulsing severe and are not very isolated.

The storm North of Jonesboro, AR is bad!! Over 55 KTS of G2G Shear continues with each scan. Tornado may have been on the ground for 25 minutes or more and is being tracked by Sheriff, spotters and radar.

here's a link to Springfield, IL webcam. Springfield, IL currently under a tornado warning. Weather Channel mentioned a tornado was spotted Southwest of Springfield

http://www.wics.com/weather/webcam.shtml

The Storm north of Jonesboro,AR is still looking amazing! This is definitely my pic for supercell of the day! storm will soon move into MO.

The storm North of Jonesboro, AR is bad!! Over 55 KTS of G2G Shear continues with each scan. Tornado may have been on the ground for 25 minutes or more and is being tracked by Sheriff, spotters and radar.
[/b]

I have to agree! I think a violent tornado is almost a given with this storm. Haven't seen one like this since 3/12/06! Really impressed and wishing I could be there!

I don't see much evidence of anything impressive on radar. Interesting to note that TWC reporter was in Springfield. Hmmm they do seem to attract disaster don't they?
[/b]

I have to agree. I didn't see much on radar either. Great comment about TWC!

I can't recall seeing such strong wording in a warning pretty much ever. "INCREDIBLE DESTRUCTION". I don't see much evidence of anything impressive on radar. Interesting to note that TWC reporter was in Springfield. Hmmm they do seem to attract disaster don't they?
[/b]

There is a very localized area of rotation was at one time was quite strong. It was moving over a heavily populated area in the Springfield vicinity. It was interesting to see wording like that over a storm that did not have a confirmed tornado, and was on a squall line, but it is entirely possible for a tornado to forum at the front of that intense line in that area of high low level shear.

The next area to watch is the area with the kink in the gust front northwest of Mason City, IL. There is a broad area of rotation that may form at least a brief tornado if it is able to become more tight. This area is moving into Tazewell County, IL towards San Jose and Delevan.

The storm WNW of Memphis, TN looks to be getting better organized. If it makes it, it looks like it will pass north of the Memphis metro.

A couple of observations regarding this apparently long lived tornado/tornadic supercell.

First NWS has confirmed a strong to violent tornado is occurring.

Second, the G2G shear and hook are remiscent of the big tornado outbreak in MO a few weeks ago.

Third, this tornado, if on the ground the whole time, would be another tri-state tornado as it is in AR NOW, going to move into MO very soon, and then into Northwestern TN shortly after that. Of course, assuming it stays tornadic the whole time.

PS: There is little doubt in my mind that this AR storm is producing a wedge tornado right now...certainly much larger and more violent than the Springfield, IL storm.

EDIT: From NWS..."AT 618 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR AND LAW
ENFORCEMENT WERE TRACKING A LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO.
THIS TORNADO IS NOW LOCATED NEAR COUNTY ROAD 437 IN MARMADUKE...MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH. HEAVY DAMAGE HAS BEEN REPORTED IN MARMADUKE BY LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT."

EDIT: From NWS..."AT 618 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR AND LAW
ENFORCEMENT WERE TRACKING A LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO.
THIS TORNADO IS NOW LOCATED NEAR COUNTY ROAD 437 IN MARMADUKE...MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH. HEAVY DAMAGE HAS BEEN REPORTED IN MARMADUKE BY LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT."
[/b]

Looks like the only good thing to say about this situation is that there are no large metro/heavily populated areas in the storm's path. I wonder what this tornado looks like? I hope someone has a Report later on this storm.

Back