4/2/06 NOW: Midwest/Southern Plains/TN and OH Valleys

Supercell west of Jackson, TN has developed hook with 'ball echo' at the end, and the rotation previously showing up on RV is now evident at the lowest tilt.

Edit: Interestingly, the cell also went from rather ragged to 'flying eagle' appearance during last two scans.

I just noticed that there was a Civil Emergency issued.

"THE EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OFFICE IN PEMISCOT COUNTY MISSOURI HAS REQUESTED THAT NO PERSONS OTHER THAN LOCAL RESIDENTS ENTER THE CITY OF CARUTHERSVILLE OVERNIGHT TONIGHT...DUE TO DAMAGE CAUSED BY A TORNADO EARLIER THIS EVENING."[/b]

link

WREG news out of Memphis has reports of 9 confirmed fatalities in the viewing area so far. :( With some of the destruction that is just now being reported in the surrounding areas, I fear this number will grow higher... but I sure hope not.

I know there are a lot of tornadic supercells raking TN right now, but my attention has been caught by a storm in west Tn. There were two individual cells that have merged to become what is a new isolated cell that has just exploded in intensity about thirty miles west of Jackson, TN in the last ten minutes and is rapidly organizing itself. The flying eagle profile is already manifesting. It's hauling straight for Jackson. We may be looking at a possible tornado in the Jackson area in ten to twenty minutes. The storm is SVR warned for now but I expect that to change shortly. It could be very serious. :blink: It seems like almost all these supercells are going tornadic tonight. I don't think anyone realized how bad this was going to be.

EDIT: Oh crap. Couplet has rapidly developed on the Jackson storm in the last two radar scans. The couplet should pass directly over Jackson in the next ten minutes. It could get ugly very shortly.

EDIT 2: Check out the tight couplet on the Marshall Co. Mississippi storm! That's pretty crazy. Quite a few towns in the path of this storm, unfortunately...

EDIT 3: Phew, the couplet on the Jackson storm has dissappeared again. The city is still going to get pounded by the core, though. Warned for nickel size hail and damaging winds in excess of 60 mph. I would not, however, be suprised to see this cell go tornadic at some point with the environment it's moving into.
Also, the shear couplet on the Rutherford Co., TN cell is now passing about ten miles south of Murfreesboro. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tornado on the ground with this one.

why isn't the storm north of Selmer,TN in McNairy CO Tennessee tornado warned? There seems to be quite a bit of low-level rotation with this storm.

The storm is now moving toward Savannah, TN just east of Selmer

looks like Knoxville, TN got a pretty hefty straight-line wind event.

The storm in Mardin Co east of McNairy Co Tenn should be tornado warned based on low-level rotation. It looks just as impressive as the storms in Miss.

Finally, it looks like the tornado threat is winding down a little. Good luck and goodnight to everyone in charge of putting out warnings and assisting with EMS.

Finally, it looks like the tornado threat is winding down a little. Good luck and goodnight to everyone in charge of putting out warnings and assisting with EMS.
[/b]

Well, the SPC has just issued Tornado Watch 144 for all of north Alabama until 1200Z, so it's a little too soon to bed down just yet Coffee, anyone?

I just flipped on the tv this morning and I am pretty sure I heard Kim Perez of TWC say there are now 14 confirmed fatalities as a result of these storms. Most of these apparently were in Dyer County, TN.

Tornado watches are still going also, btw. Looks like the latest is for ERN TN, NRN GA, WRN NC and a small portion of SC and will run up until mid morning.

LSR's from MEG indicate 8 fatalities and 50 injuries in Gibson county from an aparent large torando that raked the area. Also, 11 fatalities have been recorded in Dyer County, TN so far this morning. I'm sure the destruction will be more evident as the sun breaks this morning. 20 total fatalities so far. :(

EDIT: Forgot to include this one...

0700 PM TORNADO DEERING 36.20N 89.88W 04/02/2006 PEMISCOT MO TRAINED SPOTTER *** 1 FATAL *** I-55 AT EXIT 14...1 FATALITY IN BRAGGADOCIO.

Back