Hurricane Alpha on the Way???

Long range GFS run from 18z shows a tropical system entering the southern Bahamas in 10-14 days. This could be the record breaking storm if the model is correct with there being a system there in 14 days.

And why would the GFS mislead us 384 hours out? :D

With the GFS' "I'm on crack" approach to forecasting Wilma, I don't want to put too much faith in this yet. That being said, however, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see our first ever Alpha come from the Bahamas/Caribbean region before the end of October.

We have a new invest (99L) that is passing thru the windward/leeward islands and into the ern Caribbean. The 12z SHIPS has this becoming TS Alpha in 36hr...but we shall see. The only real impediment I see to this developing is the shear brought on by the close proximity to Hurricane Wilma. However, even this isn't enough to prevent at least minor further development and it already appears that the convection is consolodating a bit...ooooooh...Alpha????

See the FCST post in Map Room -- we have Alpha. Advisories will be initiated at 5pm. For those who are interested...

Alpha
Beta
Gamma
Delta
Epsilon
Zeta
Eta
Theta
Iota
Kappa
Lambda
Mu
Nu
Xi
Omicron
Pi
Rho
Sigma
Tau
Upsilon
Phi
Chi
Psi
Omega

I must say, Hurricane Psi sounds cool!

I never thought the day would come when I would see this on the NHC homepage:
alpha5dh.png

That's one sweet tropical wave approaching the Windward Islands! Gamma may be on the way. It seems to be pushing its own diffluent environment out ahead of it and it's bound for the deep well of eastern Caribbean TCHP. Oy.

Back