Chase Case 7

Dryline is just to my west, and I'm thinking it may be a little too close for comfort. I see lower 60s Tds working up toward me from the OK panhandle, but I'd rather be east of initiation and have to backtrack than west of it and try to catch up with it. I'm going to nudge over to Dodge City, in the middle of the Cu field.

I am currently adjusting a little bit E of Dodge City and like where I am set up in Kinsley. I will sit and wait there for the action to come to me (hopefully).

Intermediate Update

*The current chase time is approximately 1930Z*

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
TORNADO WATCH
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK (graphic)

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A
TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

EXTREME NORTHEAST COLORADO
WESTERN NEBRASKA
SOUTHWEST SOUTH DAKOTA

DISCUSSION...INITIAL THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT IS COMMENCING ALONG
THE SURFACE TRIPLE POINT NEAR SCOTTS BLUFF. CONVECTION WILL LIKELY
INCREASE ACROSS WRN NEB THROUGH THE AFTERNOON AS THE LOW LEVELS
CONTINUE TO WARM/DESTABILIZE...AND ADDITIONAL CONVECTION SHOULD
DEVELOP/SPREAD NWD/NNEWD INTO SW SD. VERTICAL SHEAR IS ALREADY
QUITE FAVORABLE FOR SUPERCELLS...AND SHOULD REMAIN STRONG THROUGH
THE EVENING TO THE E/NE OF THE PRIMARY SURFACE CYCLONE. GIVEN
BOUNDARY LAYER DEWPOINTS IN THE LOW-MID 50S AND SUBSTANTIAL
LOW-LEVEL SHEAR...THE SUPERCELLS WILL BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING
TORNADOES AND LARGE HAIL. ALSO...CONVECTION MAY GROW INTO ONE OR
MORE LINE SEGMENTS BY LATE AFTERNOON/EVENING THROUGH STORM
MERGERS...WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR A FEW BOWING SEGMENTS WITH DAMAGING
WINDS.

Still in Dodge City, KS. As always I'm trying to remind myself to stay patient. So I guess I'll head over to Dairy Queen for a Blizzard!

Dang. Too far south, too far south! But afraid if I move, I'll miss something. Staying here, waiting ... waiting ... c'mon, Texas, give me some Panhandle magic!!!!

I am holding my early afternoon position in Scott City KS....looks like things should go very shortly the entire length of the DL. Shear increasing and moisture depth looking better with cu racing north. Looks like some fast movers are in store in this strong deep shear regime in the Plains. Time to get ready....

I have a bad feeling I am too far South and too far East. There fore I am heading to Kinsley, KS. Nice clearing going on, warm temperatures and good Dewpoints. Am afraid that going to Liberal, my Second choice is potentially to far west.

Going to head up HWY 70 towards Clarendon, Tx.. I think the bulk shear goes without saying. I do like the lower LCL's in this area and feel that the cirrus deck may help cool down the inversion layer for things a bit later. I should be in Clarendon by 20z. I am noticing a field of Cu going up to my northwest and feel confident that things will get active in this location. I am familiar chasing in these areas along Hwy 287, 70, and I-40.

Back