Chase Case 7

I think I'm liking northwest KS better than Amarillo, possibly on up into Nebraska. Much of the TX panhandle is still socked in under clouds, and while they're clearing, the job is already done farther north. I also notice that the higher dewpoints are east of the panhandle and advecting northwest up into Kansas, where the surface winds are nicely backed and where, as John Hudson pointed out, there's good UA diffluence.

Frankly, I suspect this will be a widespread event and those who chase in Texas won't be disappointed. But for the reasons stated, I think I'm going to begin the 300 mile trek to Goodland and make adjustments as necessary with further updates.

While I think there might be some action further N possibly into NE, I still like the play down here in SW KS so I'm staying put in Ulysses. All's clear overhead with decent dew points and good winds coming from the S. This area should get some nice daytime heating and could be explosive this afternoon.

Don't know why, gut is telling me to stay in Texas. Let's hope I'm right. Still in Midland-Odessa, will adjust as necessary. Thinking of heading north a bit, to around Pampa. Will decide with next update. GAD hope I'm right. First chase.

I think I'll start heading north towards Meade, KS for an hour drive... dewpoints rising fast and winds at the the SFC are more SEerly enhancing low level shear. VIS SAT showing little cloud cover and should see plenty of daytime heating. I can in an easy manner maneuver east, south, west, or north if needed.

I'm hanging on in Liberal, Ks...Few moisture advection so far, but I'm liking this better veering...I'm gonna take my last decision after 18Z if staying here or going to the Tx Panh.

I may regret this, but I am not liking this cloud cover. Moving north from Midland up to Plainview, TX. Hope to arrive there by 19z, with the intention of making a further decision from there.

Right now I am in Liberal, KS, and I'm keeping an eye for NW KS. Seems like they could get good moisture there with plenty of clear skies...And to may be better palced relative to cyclogenesis... Will not commit to a decision at this time, will wait for 18Z data.

LLJ GETTING ITS ACT TOGETHER AND DRAWING THE MOISTURE FURTHER NORTH. WINDS BACKED INTO THE PECOS VALLEY ARE JUST A TAD WEAK, SO I AM GOING TO JOG NORTHWARD TO RALLS, TX AND HANG OUT FOR THE NEXT UPDATE. LOOKS LIKE ANYWHERE FROM NEBRASKA TO TEXAS COULD BE ACTIVE TODAY.

CLOUD COVER IS NOT A CONCERN TO ME. SHOULD GET SUFFICIENT HEATING ANYWAY WITH THIS INSANE JET STREAK NOSING IN TO BREAK IT WIDE OPEN ACROSS W TEXAS.

Made it into Lamar, CO for a pit and data stop and still am still en route to Garden City, KS. Should be pulling into town around 18z in time to grab some lunch and additional data.

Back