Central Plains Severe Weather Symposium 4/4/09

For some reasons unknown, I missed the Severe Weather Symposium that was held in Lincoln NE April 4. That is my hometown and I missed it for the second year in a row. (frown)

I was wondering as to how many of you storm chasers took off early when tornado activity picked up in Central NE late that afternoon??

I later learned that those storms were rather brief in their touchdowns.

Any feedbacks from people that attended this year's Symposium?? thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Symposium has been regarded as highly successful this year as, even with the state of the economy and that weekend's weather conditions, the event drew more than 4,000 people from various states including Illinois. The Lieutenant Governor of Nebraska attended and proclaimed the event as the foundation for the state's severe weather awareness. We know in the past that many people have commented on the date choice for the Symposium, but this event is now literally the kickoff to this state's severe weather awareness week each year.

Dr. Joe Schaefer, Director of the Storm Prediction Center, told us afterwards that he is unaware of an event anywhere in the U.S. that is as comprehensive and successful as the CPSWS.

Thanks to all who attended and check the symposium website at www.cpsws.unl.edu for pictures from this year's event and the date for next year's event, which should be released by September.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Umschied gave a good presentation for budding storm photographers (too bad they couldn't give him more time -- it looked like he definately had more to teach people); the director of the SPC ran down all the tornado outbreak days from 2008, and there was an excellent presentation from Adam Houston, the guy leading the team that will be launching unmanned aeiral vehicles to sample boundaries and the RFD of supercells for Vortex 2. I've been to 4 of these now, and this one was probably the best yet in overall quality. (The best moment, in my opinion, came from the 2005 conference when Tim Samaras unveiled his "inside-the-tornado-cam" footage for the first time -- there was actually spontaneous applause and cheering in the middle of the video).

It was also encouraging to see a lot of the general public out for the event. In some years past, it seemed that a large portion of the attendees had only stopped playing World of Warcraft long enough to toss on a HAM-ID-embroidered Skywarn jacket before rushing out the door. This year there were lots of families and interested general public. Unfortunately they weren't able to launch the weather balloon this year due to the fact that the low pressure system probably would have carried it into Europe -- the balloon launch seems to be one of the most popular things for the public (and I love watching it, too! :)) But overall it was an excellent symposium. I really felt for the poor Hy-Vee catering staff, who had to grill dogs and burgers, take money, and hand out plates and napkins in 30mph winds gusting to 45. Putting ketchup on your hotdog required two people spaced 10 feet apart. ;)

Back