Central Plains Severe Weather Symposium 4/4/09

This has been announced here in the past, but no mention of it yet this year, so I'll post it...

The annual Central Plains Severe Weather Symposium will be held on Sat. April 4th, 2009 in Lincoln, NE and looks to have a great lineup of presentations this year. Spotter training is also available, if I'm not mistaken. I'm definitely planning on attending.

http://www.lincolnweather.org/cpsws2009.html

Ditto here. The presentations were pretty good last year, and it looks like they have a great lineup this year, too. Looks like their theme is photography based, as well, so if you are a chaser who doesn't do much photography but would like to get into it, this would probably be a event to attend, as it has a few photography workshops.

Despite being geared towards the general public more so than chasers, it still is a fun little event to attend. I will likely try to swing by this year, that is if it isn't a chase day, at least the last 2 years it has inconveniently fallen on chase days.

Don't miss the weather balloon launch, if they do it again this year. A couple years ago we had strong winds which they didn't take in to account as the people made a big ring around the pre-launch balloon. When they let it go the balloon went nearly sideways and a little kid came about 8" from getting clocked in the head by the swinging radiosonde. Good times!

GFS looking a bit like a chase day Saturday on tonight's run...fwiw(maybe late moisture would kill it again anyway).

Edit: And/or a snow storm. System on Thursday in the se will probably screw the one behind it for chasing. Must be April.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will also be there. Can't wait to see the photography seminars as I have really taken an interest in it this year. Maybe set a meetup time where we could put some faces to the names?

coming up from Wichita.

Wow, I can't believe people travel that far for it. Looking more and more like a probable chase day to me; moisture and timing pending, I'll likely end up chasing in the Southern Plains. It does indeed look like a pretty healthy snow event is possible for the NE region as well, something to keep an eye on if your traveling a good distance.

This year's Symposium/Weatherfest is geared towards photography and there will be an all day photography seminar in one of the classrooms. I'll be assisting in two of the talks related to storm chasing photography and what to consider in buying the right photography equipment. The nice thing about this event in comparison to other weather seminars or symposiums out there, is this one has something geared towards just about everybody and it serves as a nice learning experience for the public. With free admission, it is our goal to promote severe weather awareness across the region.

Wow, I can't believe people travel that far for it.

It may be a 4 1/2 to 5 hour drive, but we're hungry for information. We went to the NSCC in Denver in February and had a great time. We figured this would be a good way to learn more, expose ourselves to different ideas, and hang out with fellow weather enthusiasts.

Besides, we'll be traveling up and down the plains as much as possible this chase season -- we may as well get it started now! :D

Bryan

Back