8/26/04 NOW: Plains, Midwest

I am more liking the storm at the southern Nebraska and Iowa borders. Radial Velocities show what appears to be minor rotation in the storm, looks like right on top of Nebraska City at the moment.

EDIT: Now appears it is near Interstate 29 between MO State Line and IA-2. The storm has now since exploded in aerial coverage in the last hour now almost covering all of Fremont County, Iowa at the moment.

The storm over Nebraska City is showing more defined rotation and a more pronounced hook. There is a left split and bit of a right turn.

edit: If the storm continues it's right turn, it will move into lower LCLs and will be fed by stronger 850mb winds.

0558 PM TORNADO 2 S RIVERTON 40.66N 95.57W
08/26/2004 FREMONT IA STORM CHASER

Finally I break the bad forecast curse from the last three days. Cell has an awkward orientation - looks like you get really hammered before the torn

Glen

Radar showing strong velocites on the Fremont Co. Iowa storm. Strongest rotation is located near Riverton along SR42. Radar indicates a nice vault so the rotation should be very visible from the south and even southwest.

EDIT: Radar indicates new rotation to the southest along SR 333.

The Page County storm is absolutely MASSIVE. You can clearly see mid/upper structure from downtown Kansas City - and from St. Joseph it fills the northern horizon. Highly backsheared anvil/overshooting top. Flanking line off the southwest. I'll take a picture after while and post later on - can't chase due to other obligations, unfortunately. I called my aunt and uncle, who live on the Missouri/Iowa line in Rock Port and they said that the sky is black and frightening up there. They are calling friends who live in the path. There has been a sighted tornado on this cell, and it remains isolated.

Originally posted by Glen Romine
0625 PM TORNADO 4 W COIN 40.66N 95.31W
08/26/2004 PAGE IA STORM CHASER

#2....

That Coin one is #3 I think... From OAX LSR's -->

#1: 0558 PM TORNADO 2 S RIVERTON 40.66N 95.57W
08/26/2004 FREMONT IA STORM CHASER

#2: 0608 PM TORNADO 6 ESE RIVERTON 40.65N 95.46W
08/26/2004 FREMONT IA TRAINED SPOTTER

#3: 0625 PM TORNADO 4 W COIN 40.66N 95.31W
08/26/2004 PAGE IA STORM CHASER

Maybe so, but an earlier SVS suggested it was continuous - thought maybe they wanted a more "viable" report....

"AT 608 PM CDT...SPOTTERS CONTINUED TO REPORT A TORNADO ON THE GROUND EAST OF RIVERTON. THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF THE STORM WAS LOCATED JUST EAST OF RIVERTON...OR ABOUT 43 MILES NORTH OF FALLS
CITY...MOVING EAST AT 25 MPH."

http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KOMA/0408262311.wwus53.html

We have good friends in Coin of all places ... in fact, due to the size of Coin, if you talk about Coin, you are talking pretty much just about them. So I'm sure they have had a nice view of this event. My uncle is trying to contact them. Currently the hook has already passed east of there, moving closer to Clarinda and then Bedford. It's staying very close to the state line - the last couple of sweeps seem to show a bit of disorganization to me ... and the core is not as intense as it was. My grandmother should have a great view right about now ... she lives about five miles south of where you currently see the hook on radar.

Originally posted by Glen Romine
Maybe so, but an earlier SVS suggested it was continuous - thought maybe they wanted a more \"viable\" report....

\"AT 608 PM CDT...SPOTTERS CONTINUED TO REPORT A TORNADO ON THE GROUND EAST OF RIVERTON. THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF THE STORM WAS LOCATED JUST EAST OF RIVERTON...OR ABOUT 43 MILES NORTH OF FALLS
CITY...MOVING EAST AT 25 MPH.\"

http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KOMA/0408262311.wwus53.html

Ah... Good call. I bet it was continuous.. I just saw the LSRs and failed to make a connection with the SVS ....

Well, here's yet another one: 0645 PM TORNADO 2 S CLARINDA 40.71N 95.04W
08/26/2004 PAGE IA AMATEUR RADIO

SR-Velocity images look "maxed out" in terms of inbound and outbound velocities. Wished I had the GRS radar viewer on this computer, but it looks like a max vel couplet at least... Very strong rotation nonetheless. The last scan shows a slight decrease in outbound, but the storm is beginning to get some distance from the OAX radar so... There are more storms now developing rapidly west of DSM.

Originally posted by Mike Peregrine
We have good friends in Coin of all places ... in fact, due to the size of Coin, if you talk about Coin, you are talking pretty much just about them. So I'm sure they have had a nice view of this event. My uncle is trying to contact them.

Geez, I pray that they're OK, Mike.

If you take a look at a radial velocity loop, you'll see that the coupling passed virtually right over Coin, and contrary to what the warning says, the storm's core is headed due east attm, into better parameters for tornadoes.

Bob

Back