6/4/05 TALK: Central Plains

Nice anvil to my south as viewed from Cottonwood Falls. Storm quickly intensifying, moving NE at 30 kts, tracking towards Cottonwood Falls.

EDIT: Storm now SVR-Warned. Free Wi-Fi from the Burnley Public Library in Cottonwood Falls.

Currently sitting here in Tonkawa, OK pulling data at Northern Oklahoma College. We continue to watch turkeys go up and down but nothing has been able to sustain itself to this point. Hopefully the cap will break here in Northern OK soon.

I am watching the web cam link I posted, looks like all heck is about to break loose. I currently show 6 tornado warned storms in the KC area. Radar is showing an awesome line of storms heading NE. The line is from Falls City to near Salina. There is a small cell starting to form North of Wichita.

At 1625 CDT a white cone tornado dissipated NE of Holton, KS - major damage to a house, power lines down, some roads closed...ran out of road option - now in St. Joseph heading North to reconnect with the cell.
Full report and pics later tonight.

Just a update on the cells near Falls City, looks like they have split into four supercells. I am currently showing 4 tornado warnings on 2 northern most cells. Radar is showing a nice hook echo on the storm east of Falls City.

Just got an update on the radar, that Salina cell just blew up, is showing a nice strong cell at this time.

Check this out:

Edit: Radar image dated 5:28PM CDT
[Broken External Image]:http://www.amazingcheese.com/StormTrack/Boundaries.gif

There's a couple interesting boundaries there. The one running through eastern Reno, Kingman, and Harper counties has focussed significantly and moved a little bit east over the last hour or so. The one on the far eastern sides of Harvey, Sedgewick, and Sumner counties has focussed a little less, but is pretty much stationary. Both of these are visible from the base scan all the way up through about 3,000 feet. Truth be told, I'm not exactly sure what they are, but I think the one on the left is the dry line.

The one on the left is likely the dryline as you mentioned and it is setting off a little convection on the area south of Wichita at the moment. The farther one to the right is probably a predryline trough, which set off all the convection down here.

How fast are the storms moving?

How fast are the storms in NE KS / NW Missouri moving? 30 miles per hour? Thanks

The storm NW of Topeka - is that a hook developing?

Back