6/4/05 TALK: Central Plains

Well...I decided to come out and play for a little while this afternoon before I have to be into work at 7PM. I know I said that I wouldnt be out chasing in earlier posts, but I couldnt pass this one up. Right now I'm up at the KS Speedway visitors center off of I-70 and 110th St in Kansas City, KS doing a data check. I'm having a difficult time deciding if I want to go further west towards Lawrence and Topeka, or stay here in the metro and wait to see if something pops. I'll be here for a little while longer, so if you're up this way, drop by and say hi. I'm the black Kia spectra in the back parking lot.

The Dickinson County storm is about to collide with that storm coming up from the south... good hook still evident on radar, but according to NWS reports, just funnels out of this so far, no tornadoes as of yet.

Storm east of Salina...wow

That storm east of Salina looks amazing on radar. Giant hook on it with 65 dBz. Don't have time to look at the VIL or tilts, but I bet this puppy is popping down a tornado or--if nothing else--looking spectacular. Love your call on this one Tony :)..

BTW--enjoyed chasing with you last week. Enjoying the discussion today. Cannot stop from being totally distracted by this situation.

For the storm south of Falls City...in NE Kansas.....

423 PM CDT SAT JUN 4 2005

...A TORNADO WARNING CONTINUES UNTIL 500 PM CDT FOR BROWN COUNTY...

AT 422 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR AND STORM
SPOTTERS WERE TRACKING A LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO. THIS
TORNADO WAS LOCATED JUST SOUTH OF HIAWATHA...MOVING NORTHEAST AT
20 MPH.
423 PM CDT SAT JUN 4 2005

Any ground truth on this???

Re: Storm east of Salina...wow

Originally posted by Jason Persoff
Love your call on this one Tony :)..
What was my call on that? :lol: *LOL*

That storm got huge in that last scan as it ingested the southern storm into it. The core has lost some of its intensity in the last scan but would imagine it to be cycling a bit with the collision. The core should be crossing I-70 as we speak with the hook area soon to follow...

Originally posted by Tony Laubach
... storm has a mean core and good hook on it as it prepared to move into Dickinson County.

Yeah, this one has been looking nice for a while now. However, it looks like it may be difficult to get to, considering that it has some pretty heavy rain and hail to the north and east. They were separate cells earlier, but the main one looks like it's beginning to wrap the other two cells in now. Seems like you'd either have to punch through ugly stuff, or sneak in from the east as it makes it's way northeast.

Edit: Holy crap, between the current and last satellite updates from msfc.nasa.gov, Oklahoma is lighting up like a Christmas tree.

Originally posted by Jeffrey Miller

AT 422 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR AND STORM SPOTTERS WERE TRACKING A LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO.

If spotters were on it like the warning said, that would be considered ground truth. The radar loop of that storm in far NE Kansas looks wicked.. I'm not surprised at the report with the way this storm has looked...

Originally posted by Tony Laubach+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony Laubach)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jeffrey Miller

AT 422 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR AND STORM SPOTTERS WERE TRACKING A LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO.

If spotters were on it like the warning said, that would be considered ground truth. The radar loop of that storm in far NE Kansas looks wicked.. I'm not surprised at the report with the way this storm has looked...[/b]

Yes, of course...somehow did not read the "storm spotters". part.

Interested to hear about this one of course.

Originally posted by Jeffrey Miller+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeffrey Miller)</div>
Originally posted by Tony Laubach@
<!--QuoteBegin-Jeffrey Miller

If spotters were on it like the warning said, that would be considered ground truth. The radar loop of that storm in far NE Kansas looks wicked.. I'm not surprised at the report with the way this storm has looked...

Yes, of course...somehow did not read the "storm spotters". part.

Interested to hear about this one of course.[/b]

Darin Brunin and Doug Mitchell are on this........

Cotton County in extreme Southern Oklahoma has just been tornado warned as well with rapidly developing cells developing along a semi-line from about Guthrie, TX to just south of Oklahoma City.

The hook of the NE Kansas storm is on the KS/MO border currently... radar still looks mighty impressive... I have to get off my computer now and work my other job, so I'm done here... good luck everyone and BE SAFE!!!

Yeah baby...

Looks like my target is verifying. Isolated TCu between ICT and Emporia. It's right on the dry punch. My money's on that storm.

I would not be chasing the Hiawatha storm for several reasons. Most importantly, the storms are "training" and the area is saturated. Risk for flooding of minor and even major roads is possible.

Chase the dry punch or anywhere in SW OK right now. Wow.

Back