6/4/05 TALK: Central Plains

Originally posted by APritchard
Just a reminder...the animals are out and about right now.

Just heard from Colin Davis/Scott Kampas for whom I was nowcasting, that they just hit a deer.

Make sure to be cautious out there, especially at nite.

Ya, our group narrowly avoided a head-on with a doe about 10 southeast of Ponca. It was the most action we saw all day, lol.

Originally posted by Lance Maxwell+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lance Maxwell)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-APritchard
Just a reminder...the animals are out and about right now.

Just heard from Colin Davis/Scott Kampas for whom I was nowcasting, that they just hit a deer.

Make sure to be cautious out there, especially at nite.

Ya, our group narrowly avoided a head-on with a doe about 10 southeast of Ponca. It was the most action we saw all day, lol.[/b]

not a bad storm goes by without seeing a few deer oving around afterward in these parts.

JH

Tough day for most of those who were out chasing today. The low-level shear was pretty poor most of the day, and the deep-layer shear wasn't all too impressive either (35-40kt range for the most part). Instability was strong, but I think the lack of stronger low-level shear resulted in disorganized storms with weak (if any) updraft rotation. Since rotation in a storm can contribute more to updraft strength (via vertical perturbation pressure gradients) than CAPE alone, the updrafts were never ever really able to take off (many folks reported rather disorganized, mushy updrafts at times). With the surface winds in OK/KS howling out of the SSW to SSE, speed shear wasn't terribly strong and thus a rather short hodograph (particularly 0-3km) resulted. I would have liked to have seen weaker surface winds to stretch out to the hodograph more and increase SR helicity, but that didn't really happen. Moisture depth didn't seem to be a problem, as the OUN/LMN/SGF/TOP soundings showed decent moisture depth.

I guess convergence was too strong for the relatively weak cap (or the cap was too weak for the convergence). If we had stronger low-level shear, we probably would have ended up with stronger rotation and resultant stronger updrafts. This could have allowed for storm-scale subsidence to occur on a consist basis and allow for more discrete activity.

I still think my favorite storm of the day (based on radar / velocity presentation) was the Lawton to Paul's Valley (OK) HP beast.

Originally posted by Chris_Sanner
Hey guys, I left that huge HP monster just to the northwest to northeast of me to spot for my hometown of Velma later tonight as that's about the only thing you can do now. I can confirm tornadoes in North Stephens County and into Garven County before I left the storm. From what I hear there's some pretty significant damage in Marlow (as per local radio reports) and the Marlow Radio Station is just broadcasting static at this time. Hopefully those folks are alright. I'll try to get some pics up later....if I have a computer then :shock:

Chris, did you ever post any pics. I too was on this storm. See the Reports section. I saw tons of wallclouds / funnels. I believe I saw a rope funnel / tornado near Purnell in the distance to my north. Also possibly a large tornado near Elmore City at 8:12 pm. Just reviewed my dashcam video and I believe I can see where my Marlow large funnel extends to ground behind a Citgo station just before it gets occluded. Low contrast video though unfortunately. This storm kept me on my toes. Feel free to send me email [email protected]

Back