6/4/05 TALK: Central Plains

Lorrine Evens just sent this message back to the UK

Well we did it. At 16:18 we saw a strong and destructive tornado near hawatha that sadly went through a house and tore it up.We got within a few hundred yards of the tornado right from the begining as it crossed the road. Absolutely awesome,Amazing!We are so high right now it must have been a few hundred yards wide and lasted about ten minutes.Heading to the tornadic storm to our south south west.

Originally posted by APritchard
Of all the Saturday's to be stuck at work.
I know what you mean. My chase-cation for 2005 started at about 7PM yesterday (when I got out of work). Even if I left for the Plains the minute I finished work (and drove all the way through), I still wouldn't have made it. Lousy Orlando. ;)

Well this IS the advertised high risk FRIDAY forecast afterall, to think we all went to bed last night thinking it was gonna be a low risk - well I pray no one gets hurt today but somehow that just doesnt seem possible...

Possible touchdown in Marlow. Either that or the winds are so strong it's breaking power lines.

Impressive wall cloud.

Makes me sick that I've blown this high risk day.

HUGE HP monster supercell with one of the best, largest meso signature I've seen now east of Lawton, OK. The velocity profile of this storm is amazing. Huge hook with a persistant TVS on it now in the Stephens/Grady county line. KFOR thinks they see a tornado near Marlow.

Originally posted by JHadorn
Possible touchdown in Marlow. Either that or the winds are so strong it's breaking power lines.

Impressive wall cloud.

Makes me sick that I've blown this high risk day.

There may still be hope. SPC looks like they may issue a Tor Watch box for the Omaha area soon. Already on radar it looks as though a cell directly south of Lincoln on the KS/NE border is becoming isolated from the line in the extreme NE corner of KS. Track puts it dead into Omaha in about an 1.5 hour or more. Currently dropping almost 3" hail.

Got Colin Davis on the phone, reporting a large lowering, possible tornado near Hatfield MO, on the furthest NE supercell in that cluster...

Huge HP southwest of OKC looks like it'll hit Paul's Valley nearly head on... 88d algorithms were giving max dV in the 130-150kt range earlier. The velocities appear to be a bit down right now, though it's likely just a temporary weakening in classic cyclic transition. Storm continues to maintain a very large hook, however. Awesome HP monster.

Radar show TVS to the SW of Lincoln... heading to the NE at about 30 MPH.

Lancaster CTY. TOR WARN now... They are playing the NCAA regional game there today at Hawmarket Park. Pray that everyone stays safe!!

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
HUGE HP monster supercell with one of the best, largest meso signature I've seen now east of Lawton, OK. The velocity profile of this storm is amazing. Huge hook with a persistant TVS on it now in the Stephens/Grady county line. KFOR thinks they see a tornado near Marlow.

Here's a copy of the hook from 1845 CDT
OUNradar.JPG

Check out the overshooting top on vis satellite! Wow.
ICTVisSatellite.jpg

Originally posted by Jason Persoff+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jason Persoff)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jeff Snyder

Here's a copy of the hook from 1845 CDT
OUNradar.JPG

Check out the overshooting top on vis satellite! Wow.
ICTVisSatellite.jpg
[/b]

Amazing radar and amazing sat :wink: I saw the hook and the tvs till just few minutes ago

New Tornado Warning

Radar indicated tornado warning recently issued for a small cell that popped up in a county just southeast of Des Moines.

Where did that little devil come from?

Back