5/13/05 TALK: Southern Plains

what a difference a scan makes...looks to be intense low level rotation now...pretty broad, but given the pendent in the reflectivity field, seems the updraft has gone insane!

Originally posted by Tom Dulong
Cottle County cell now has a double meso structure and is back-building to the southwest. It may be about to split. It that's the case, then the best place to be in the next 45 minutes would be northeast King County (all in TX).

The storm seems to have had an anticyclonic/cyclonic mesocyclone pair for past 30 minutes. The anticyclonic meso on the northwest side of the storm was looking stronger than the cyclonic meso on the south/southeast side of the updraft (southwest side of the reflectivity). I would have thought that the left-split would have jetted off by now, but it seems to be hanging steady with the rest of the storm. Hail is also still likely in the gorilla-sized category, given >70 dBz above 22000ft.

Tornado warning now out for Greer county for storm near Mangum.

I was just about to say the Briscoe County cell looked the most promising, and it just briefly had a TVS signature.

Originally posted by Karen Rhoden

Sitting here disgusted, in the office in Norman.
KR

Cheer up, the anvils should be visible in OKC within the hour, and maybe you’ll see some Mammatus. More than we are seeing here in Omaha.

Originally posted by Kiel Ortega
all I see is anticyclonic motion on WDSS....what's going on here???? :shock:

http://weather.ou.edu/~kortega/what.png

You may be seeing the left member of the splitting pair of mesocyclones.
The returns from the right-mover may be getting attenuated by the large hail
between it and the radar. There may also be some range-folding or improper de-aliased velocities with the right-mover as well, so the cyclonic
meso is not being painted properly.

Major hook now on the storm...looks like tornado imminent over extreme southwest Foard County/Extreme northeast King County.

Originally posted by Tom Dulong+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Dulong)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Kiel Ortega
all I see is anticyclonic motion on WDSS....what's going on here???? :shock:

http://weather.ou.edu/~kortega/what.png

You may be seeing the left member of the splitting pair of mesocyclones.
The returns from the right-mover may be getting attenuated by the large hail
between it and the radar. There may also be some range-folding or improper de-aliased velocities with the right-mover as well, so the cyclonic
meso is not being painted properly.[/b]

Very true...I'm also inclined to agree with Jeff and say the anticyclonic meso was more dominant...storm looking messy at the low levels...mid levels still show great rotation (anti- and cyclonic)

The road network in that part of NW TX is pretty lacking. Seeing as it's THE storm to be on (the Cottle/Foard storm, that is), it's probably a freakin' zoo down there. Let's hope the hail core hasn't overtaken any chaser traffic jams.

Well, it looks like the left-split is finally leaving the storm... Cyclonic meso has tightened up very rapidly, with awesome rotation now in extreme nw Knox county. LOL >75 Dbz now above 22000ft... That's ridiculous!

Nice meso now with the storm entering nw Hardeman county, aiming for Quanah. Weak rotation with the storm a little farther north in Harmon county, and the supercell with strong rotation in Greer county has been hit by the left-split from the TX storm and is likely undergoing reorganization. Another supercell north of I40 northeast of Sayer with weak mesocyclone indicated as well. OU graduation starts in about an hour, so I gotta get going...

Back