• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

New chasing method; critiques and rebukes wanted!

Darrin Rasberry

As a chaser doing some long study out of Tim V's books and Dr. Flory's materials from the forecasting class here at Iowa State, I'm beginning to scrape off the final chunk of the tip of the weather iceberg and am preparing to dive deep as far as chaser forecasting.

Last year, my purely model-based forecasting was successful only a handful of times, and miserably failed so much that it often led to a loss of money, patience, and pride. So I've decided to switch methods, but I want to make sure what I'm doing is at least more effective than finding the intersection of the prettiest colors on the indexes at Earl's site and parking my car there.

The following is the method I've come up with to try out for my sophomore season. It's in NO WAY a suggestion to anyone else; all should be able to chase as they wish. It's not even definitive for myself, since I want to run it before more experienced chasers for adjustment.

EDIT: Sorry for switching from first to second person in this all the time, but I think my meaning is good enough for government work nonetheless.

WARNING: Some of the following suggestions might be shocking and/or stupid. Stormchasing parents are advised to exercise caution with younger readers. :)

======================

SPRING TRAINING

*Reread Red Book, forecasting class materials, Haby's site, and past important forecast threads to review terminology and methodology.

*Practice a few runs on Forecast Laboratory to brush up.

*Watch Storms of 2008, Reed's and other chaser's videos, and your own most successful videos to get motivated.

*Invest in a whiteboard with the U.S. overlayed on it. Laminate some popular stormchasing state maps so you can doodle on them as well.

METHOD FOR DAY 3 ON UP:

*Use the SPC. Period.

That's it. No more. Yes, it is often pointed out that Convective Outlooks aren't for stormchasers, but as far as Day 3+, forecasting specifics can be effectively done by nobody. I have doubts enough for the 12z data panning out, more or less specifics beyond that. Besides, many SPC forecasters were and are chasers, and I've seen in the past year quite a few writeups with a chaser tone to them.

*As for beyond Day 8, I realize strong systems have been predicted well ahead of time here on Stormtrack, but it is too much of a crapshoot for me to do myself.

*I'm in no way suggesting to just look at the graphic at the SPC site; those new to forecasting (as in, more of a n00b than I am) should especially steer clear of this. What I'm suggesting is to look at the graphic *AND* the text, once you've studied up enough (basically, my standard for doing a good study is to ask yourself if you could give a lecture to a classroom on whatever you studied). What features does the forecaster point out? Where are all the possible places this feature could be come chase day? What type of severe weather does the forecaster predict? If you deem it worthwhile for chase potential, follow its progression to Day 2.

*If the forecast is a "bad egg," i.e. not well-written or missing enough chasing details such as storm speed, etc., so that it would get giggles and a Warning had the forecaster put it on this site instead, then check GFS and NAM forecasted soundings/hodos in and around the area and come up with something yourself. In such a case I don't plan to spend any more than an hour with brainstorming possible events this far out and then checking my casting with more experienced and knowledgeable chasers here on Stormtrack.

*If the chase is on a work day and is hyped up enough that shifts need to be covered/vacation time needs to be taken, VERIFY the hype based on past experience and all the evidence you have. Vacation days spent on a busted hype can't be taken back, and buddies at work who cover your shift to let you chase storms are tough to find. Not to mention any money you'd lose if you're paid hourly, and if you're in school, an attended class is almost always better than making up notes and work.

*Follow progress of any interesting systems using surface/500mb data at 00z/12z on Day 3.

METHOD FOR DAY 2 (00z/12z for the day before):

*Use the SPC and check what they're saying about your potential chase scenario. Features should become a bit more narrow IMO, so pay closer attention to what the forecaster says than on days 3+.

*Check the local NWS forecasts in and near the area, as well.

* In every case, run the forecasted GFS/NAM soundings/hodos for your area and verify the forecasts.

*Check current conditions at surface/500mb at locations in and around your system's current location, as well as other relevant areas like the CAP-effecting high plains/Rockies, so you can estimate . Post your results here and check the opinions of others to correct potential mistakes and oversights.

*Make the final decision whether or not to chase. If it's not a local chase, get your obligations covered and hit the highway only after making the best decision you can from all the data you have. Gas isn't cheap, nor is school or a traded shift, as discussed earlier.

METHOD FOR DAY 1 (00z run and RUC runs the night before the chase):

*TRACK ALL SURFACE, SATELLITE AND RADAR DATA AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE THE NIGHT BEFORE. Pay close attention to outflow boundaries, "storm killing" cloud cover, development close to but outside of your chase range, the positioning of the warm front/cold front/dryline/whatever. Be sure to TIME LOOP these to estimate their future progression through your area.

*Check surface/500mb data once more before bed to track the system's position. Take a look at IR satellite (it's probably dark at bedtime after all), radar, and RUC soundings/hodos for the system. Rely on estimation, past experience, and intuition, and pick a target. Fact-check vs. the SPC, local NWS offices, and chasers planning to hit your area. Spend around an hour doing all of this.

*Get a good rest. Make sure all gear, medicine, money, emergency equipment, etc., is ready for the next day. If it's a bit of a surprise chase, develop a convincing hacking cough for your boss, or better yet, continue preparing and brush up your skills by nowcasting for someone who is available to chase.

METHOD FOR PREPPING ON THE MORNING OF THE CHASE:

*Wake up early enough to have a good hour and a half or more to study before taking off to your target. Prepare and eat, and check each hour that the RUC data comes up on http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis. If the drive is going to be long, at least take the most recent RUC possible, all current conditions, and recent radar/satellite from the Mesoanalysis page or through your favorite weather program, and update whenever possible on the road if you have a partner in the front seat or time enough to stop and check stuff yourself.

*Print up the most recent surface data plots at the Mesoanalysis page or from your favorite surface data plotting site. If no printer is available, save the PDF graphics offered and convert the files to something you can mark on (via PrintScreen etc.) if you don't have an Adobe product that lets you do it to a PDF directly. Perhaps try to find a whiteboard with a good CONUS overlay so it can be updated with ease throughout the day.

*Check RUC soundings/hodos all around the forecast area, both current and projected throughout the day. Take particular note of the sounding shape (fat CAPE vs. long and skinny CAPE, for instance), current and projected cap strength (although rumor has it the RUC underestimates CINH), LFC/LCL, atmospheric temps, and the hodograph's shape, turning, and strength at the relevant heights. List current/forecasted relevant data and observations on the side of your Current Observations worksheet.

*Bring up a loop of the most recent satellite and radar data available, as well as copies of wind data at ALL heights. Using all your information, draw current isobars and isotherms on your surface data plot, and draw all unusual features present and projected, such as preventative cloud cover, OFBs, fronts, shortwaves, dryline bulges, UL disturbances, CAP-busting/lift mechanisms, dewpoint depth, etc. Estimate storm type, initiation time, and evolution.

*Fact-check with all the usual places. Perhaps take a look-see at the SREF page at the SPC as well.

*Discuss with any partners/nowcasters.

*Adjust target.

*Have partners or nowcasters update in transit, or do it yourself when you stop and can get data.

*Arrive at target area two hours before your earliest projected initiation time.

DURING THE CHASE

*If solo, make sure to have a nowcaster ready. At the very least, if the sky is clear in your area get a nowcaster to text you some METAR data so you can doodle out a different nearby target after you fuel up.

*If with a partner, have him (or you if you're the passenger) continuously follow surface and upper air observations and finding new or adjusted "features" that could spawn or buff up good storms. Have a nowcaster verify the observations.

*After initiation, do some quick radar and satellite analysis on the initial pops, keeping in mind the other nearby possible locations for more potential storms. If the first pops look good and it is improbable that better storms will develop elsewhere, I don't see any harm in going after them if you're sure your forecasting is sound enough to justify it. Use placement on the radar to see potential seeding/inflow cutoff problems and use satellite to see structure if you're heading out to multiple pops.

*If spotter nets are available or chasers are around that you can talk to via phone or face-to-face at the local Allsups, see what they are doing WITHOUT leaching. If they're headed elsewhere, take a quick look at the satellite or radar and see if they're justified, or ask them why they're headed the way they are if you don't use a computer (ALL chasers I've encountered are happy to explain their reasoning). Otherwise, stick with your own work. Correcting an error or oversight by figuring out why other chasers are elsewhere isn't wrong; blindly following other chasers out of a majority-rules sentiment is wrong.

*Once you're on a storm, shut off the computer. Turn on the WX radio to listen to warning information, and have your phone ready to relay info to the NWS or to contact a nowcaster or chaser you know is on the storm if things look questionable or hairy.

*I like to use that cheesy but catchy country song "The Gambler" as an example for restructuring my on-the-storm behavior:

-Know when to hold 'em: Stick to your storm until you have evidence that another one is better. If the storm you're on is not warned, and another warning comes up, keep as a default policy to NOT jump ship, even if there's activity reported.

If you leave your cell, you MIGHT catch a tornado on the other cell, but TORs are mostly false alarms and you might arrive to find nothing but dissipation while the storm you left could have given you a birth, life, and death of an even better twister. If the other storm is cutting yours off, or if yours is a dud and the other is being reported as long-track and slow moving, then move it, but generally driving through a rotating wall cloud on your own storm to jump on a warning elsewhere won't work. That's what killed us on 5/23. :)

-Know when to fold 'em: Use your eyes and experience to judge the quality of a storm, keeping the forecasted storm evolution for the day firmly in mind. If they're awful, they're awful. But as I said above, use an innocent-until-proven-guilty standard.

-Know when to walk away: As far as the whole day goes, if it is dudding out, remember your forecast and talk to others about updated information. Use experience and knowledge to judge whether to call off a chase; if you're too hasty, you may miss a storm, and if you're too stubborn, you'll waste gas and time. If it won't cost you too much, a hefty squall line, gorilla hail producer, or local attractions on a blue-sky day make for good pictures and times, as well. If it's a bust, it's a bust. Weather happens.

-Know when to run: Whenever you head into a storm, the two most important things to keep in mind are storm speed and motion (including right-mover possibilities), and escape routes. If you look at a map and see no turnoffs from a road you want to chase on alongside a storm, you're taking a big risk. If the storms are bullets, or if you're chasing at night, you're better off setting up in a safe spot, letting the storm roll by, and rolling the dice, rather than trying to follow it. If you're expecting a lone supe producing a pretty tornado to possibly right-turn on you, make sure you know you have opt-out roads before you become debris. If you want to get a money shot but know you're going to be in ridiculous danger, just suck up your pride and be safe. No storm is worth a life.

*Finally, if all else fails, join the DOW train! :rolleyes:

AFTER THE CHASE

*Make sure the drive home/to the hotel is safe. Storms won't care whether your chase day is done.

*Make sure chasing partners have all their stuff or that I have all of mine if I'm in someone else's car.

*Write up REPORT post analyzing briefly the right and wrong things in the forecasting/actual chasing for the day.

*Prepare for the next chase.

Feel free to critique away. I don't expect this to be even halfway right, so I'm not at all setting this as personal doctrine. Preliminary thanks to everyone wishing to help adjust my planning for next year. See you all on the road!

Last edited by a moderator:
"Once you're on a storm, shut off the computer."

Why? If you're in a low-vis situation, the last thing I want is another storm to form on the tail end of my cell, develop rotation, and move towards the spot I previously thought was fine to sit and watch the first storm pass by to my north!

Maybe an extreme example - but I don't get it.

If the computer is off, my GPS is sending data to nothing, I can't access SpotterNet to send reports, I can't view other spotter reports, I can't get the latest radar, I can't see the trends of the meso strength, yada yada.

Otherwise a nice writeup.

You put a lot of thought and detail into that post, nice work. But...don't forget to just chase :D

Yea, I agree with rdale on this one. There really is no reason to shut off the computer once your on a storm. Like he said, it cuts off GPS data and other vital information. Obviously radar is slightly old data, but I still like having the convenience of looking at it to see what is happening and also to see if I'm in a safe place or not.

Don't get so hypnotized by the computer that you forget to look at the storm, but by all means, keep it on!

This is a very good writeup Darrin. It was well thought out, and it looks like your well on your way to becoming not only a chaser, but a forecaster as well.

EDIT: Yes, Shane brings up a great point. Just chase, keep it simple and have fun!

wow...very well thought out and a nice plan of action...proof there can be a method to mayhem afterall!

Everyone has their own styles and methods, the best advice I can give is figure out what works best for you...

09 will be my 4th year out there...so im no "seasoned veteran"

but the biggest thing Ive learned is that you can sit there and forecast a setup to death, coming up with a perfect forecast on paper....but...your just basing it off computers....LIVE conditions are what matter most and your perfect forecast can go down the crapper at the last possible minute....so for me I just look for where i think a few key ingredients will come together nicely...drive over to a city with a good road network in that area...and there i will sit and monitor live conditions...ready to adjust at a moments notice.

Also, you will have to be prepared to let your dependance on a model forecast go out the door if that model is out to lunch. For the most part nowdays the models handle upper features with great accurracy within 24 hours of the event, however sometimes they don't pick up on subtle waves. The models can and have often been quite unreliable when it comes to moisture placement and other surface features. I always check current obs with model output, and if I believe a model is out to lunch I forget about that model. Once I am on the chase I hardly look at models at that point anyway and focus on current obs.

Once I get around the storms I almost strictly base my decisions on visual features. One bit of advise I learned from Justin Teague is to always look at what kind of environment your storm is moving into. The only times you will catch me looking at models on the chase is when its a bust and 00z data is out for the next possible event. Darren, I enjoyed the post. I would like to hear what other chasers do in the dead time to prepare for the next season. As you get more years under your belt, your preseason preparations become less and less about forecasting and more and more about equipment and data.

Very well thought out and logical writeup Darrin. I find the biggest obstacle to storm chasing for me is to commit to a logical flow like this; too often I would "jump ship" and go into scramble mode with the end result being less than favorable.

This past season I decided to print up and laminate a couple copies of my own method and keep them with my vehicle and at home in easy reach. I found that quickly scanning my "list" was very helpful at keeping me on task and removing the temptation to deviate.. I found it worked well (despite the chasing being very sparse around these parts this year).

I do agree though that your laptop should remain on during the chase, but I understand your logic. It is at that phase that your attention should be outside the vehicle instead of gazing too much at the screen; but I think having extra information is also a good thing. For me that is the time that I have my mapping program predominently on the screen so I can constantly see where I can go; I don't have time to look at paper maps when I'm trying to keep up with a cell and being able to quickly glance at a map is a bonus. Of course some of the other benefits have already been stated by others.

2009 will be my 17th year on the plains and elsewhere. I still dont have it down, but i always have fun. Yeah i crab and complain when a cell hits where I was but not where I am, but it's nature. It's still beautiful and exciting to try and catch the storm. If you miss, you miss.. no loss, no harm, no foul.. But in the end, it all comes down to whether or not you had a good time trying.. that is the key to a successful chase.:cool:

I tried last winter to come up with a system like this. Nothing beats being out there and I generally use the models and SPC and whatnot to get a better idea of a general area to target.

Nice write up and even something great to use as a reference tool.

In the end I've decided to better train myself on where NOT to be, then at least I can do as I will and not have much fear of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

1. Learn what a hail core is, what a core shaft looks like and how not to be in its path.

2. Learn what an updraft/downdraft looks like and how not to be underneath it.

3. Stay to the south/southeast!

Granted these are a grave overgeneralization, but it's worked so far. As others have said, it's all about having fun, whether it's with a group of people like yourself or not. Mother nature has the ability to provide a splendor like no other, whether I'm 100 or 1 mile from it!

This has been my rookie year as well.
Went to KS on the 22&23May with my modest Minolta Z1, my car, and a disposable cell phone.
After getting pics of the Hoxie (22May) and 2nd Quinter wedge (23May), I drove back to WaKeeny and waited out storm after storm in the 24/7 convenience store feeling at a loss for what was going on around me.

I told myself that it is time to invest in the right gear.
I saw that a laptop w/GR and a cell phone/INTERNET connection as indispensable.
Also, a good camera would be in order; so I made purchases for needs - and not wants.
I bought a Hp laptop from TigerDirect for $700 & $70 for a gig of fast Corsair RAM.
Next, I purchased a license for GR3.
Then I bought a Canon XTi kit a Staples for $600.
Drove to Omaha and bought a 10-22mm & filter for $800 - OUCH!
Then I went to Alltel and bought a Samsug Hue & internet service for $300~.
Bought a ProMaster window mount at Harold's Camera in Sioux City IA for $50.
The final item was a B&D 400W power inverter from WalMart for $60.

But the experience in WaKeeny taught me what I needed to pursue storms; I didn't want to spend any more than necessary.
While in that 24/7 station for 3+ hours, I kept telling myself that I was without the right tools (as a pro mechanic for 13+ years) - I knew that one cannot expect to overhaul an engine with a crescent wrench and bent paper clip.
It was the right time to gear up...

I constantly read STORMTRACK before the KS experience, and used the public libraries along the way to watch the NWS's Storm Prediction Center forcasts.
All the tools I now have I consider learning aids; and I use them every day and as often as I can...

One of the most simple and helpful means of obtaining crucial information that I've found is right here. I greatly respect certain members forecast and intuitions especialy on chase day. Alot of times I miss things that are right under my nose that get pointed out in a forecast thread.

You put a lot of thought and detail into that post, nice work. But...don't forget to just chase :D

No kidding, all I got on my to do/reminder list is to make sure I behave myself enough the night before (Learned that lesson after chasing the day after my 21st) and to make sure I got more than enough in the bank account (also directly tied to behaving myself the night before). I'll watch the models and try to plan where to be and what not, but most of the time its all pretty pointless and just for something to do, as most of the time I just have a general broad area pinpointed and the finite details change continuously the day of anyway. The only thing I really worry about Pre-chase is to make sure I'm able to be early to my target area, I have a horrible problem with wanting to be out the door super early on chase days, but when your out the door early you have time to do everything you have scheduled for day 2 and day 3, and my to do list on day 1 is merely to have fun and not die...

During the chase, I have probably messed up more often by making bad road choices than any other way. In other words, my forecasting and storm-selection strategies had worked out just fine, but by selecting the wrong road to go the last 20-30 miles or so to the storm, I missed tornadoes I could have seen. The best road selection when faced with a choice is often only obvious in hindsight, but in general my bad choices have usually involved either 1) selecting a road that looked more direct to the storm, but did not allow enough for storm motion and left me behind the storm, 2) taking a shorter back road rather than a longer but faster freeway option to get into the area near the storm (but DO NOT be on the freeway when actually intercepting the storm!), 3) or acting on impulse in the heat of the chase without taking a little time (even when time is tight) to analyze the situation and the options.

I have one suggestion for improving your forecasting skills. Make a forecast on your own before you look the SPC, NWS, storm track or other forecast. If you do this one simple thing you will learn a lot faster. You can always adjust your forecast after seeing what other have to say. But if you read their forecasts first you will have a bias in your forecast that can cause you to miss important details.

If I am in a rush I’ll look at the SPC graphics without reading the text to get an idea of what they think the potential is. If I read the text it is always after I have looked at current conditions and model forecast.

"Once you're on a storm, shut off the computer."

Why? If you're in a low-vis situation, the last thing I want is another storm to form on the tail end of my cell, develop rotation, and move towards the spot I previously thought was fine to sit and watch the first storm pass by to my north!

Maybe an extreme example - but I don't get it.

If the computer is off, my GPS is sending data to nothing, I can't access SpotterNet to send reports, I can't view other spotter reports, I can't get the latest radar, I can't see the trends of the meso strength, yada yada.

Otherwise a nice writeup.

Yeah I should have edited "shut the computer off." This is not what we in fact do; Craig lowers the screen halfway down (or puts it all the way down and in the back if he needs to lean around to watch all the sky) and shutting it off totally would of course be logistically foolish if you have the luxury to begin with.

No kidding, all I got on my to do/reminder list is to make sure I behave myself enough the night before (Learned that lesson after chasing the day after my 21st) and to make sure I got more than enough in the bank account (also directly tied to behaving myself the night before). I'll watch the models and try to plan where to be and what not, but most of the time its all pretty pointless and just for something to do, as most of the time I just have a general broad area pinpointed and the finite details change continuously the day of anyway. The only thing I really worry about Pre-chase is to make sure I'm able to be early to my target area, I have a horrible problem with wanting to be out the door super early on chase days, but when your out the door early you have time to do everything you have scheduled for day 2 and day 3, and my to do list on day 1 is merely to have fun and not die...

Actually I agree with your sentiments here, Dustin/Shane. It was reading Shane's blog last summer that really inspired me to stop being so dependent on the science and start getting back to loving the storms and the plains that house them. I was spending so many hours looking through model forecasts and trying to make sense of them, and when I flunked a forecast, all that wasted time caused me to not enjoy chases that could've still been fun under other presuppositions.

What I outlined is a way to trim the work. And I think you do address a good point with the area targeting. A very brief summary would be:

1) Look at the SPC for Day 3+, that's it. Pick out a broad area where you're thinking you could go if you're gonna be able to chase it. Broad area could mean "somewhere from OKC to Topeka."
2) Look at the SPC for Day 2, look at some local NWS reports for your target area, look at how tomorrow's system behaves today. Cut the area a bit ("OKC to Wichita," to continue the example) and take off if you need to shack up for a night closer to it.
3) Rest up, eat breakfast, scrawl out the features by hand and pick out some interesting things, and go to where your experience, knowledge, and gut tell you based on what you see and what you gather from all the other chaser/NWS forecasts. Narrow down further ("somewhere around Guthrie," for example) and be there early (good point about what to do if you're way early BTW Dustin).
4) Don't be a screwball while in the actual chase. Rely, in order of precedence, on (a) eyes, (b) gut, (c) others, (d) computer. Use what you know about the day's details and from the local terrain/road system to get your storms while staying out of a mess.
5) ???
6) Fun and profit.

I'm actually a bit shocked to not see anything about relying too much on the SPC. It's a little bit lazy, I admit, but save for a notable botch or two they did pretty good this year IMO. I mean, if you've studied up enough to know what their writeup says, then eh, why not? :)

I have one suggestion for improving your forecasting skills. Make a forecast on your own before you look the SPC, NWS, storm track or other forecast. If you do this one simple thing you will learn a lot faster. You can always adjust your forecast after seeing what other have to say. But if you read their forecasts first you will have a bias in your forecast that can cause you to miss important details.

If I am in a rush I’ll look at the SPC graphics without reading the text to get an idea of what they think the potential is. If I read the text it is always after I have looked at current conditions and model forecast.

This is what I'm planning to do for Day 1, actually, so I can approach it without biases to distort things I see based on authority, so to speak. If I'll get a map of my own finished up first before SPC and Stormtrack-checking, though, I'll be more inclined to look critically instead of jumping at accepting differences in those forecasts from my own, since they would have to run into my pride at that point :)

Maybe you can do this for Day 2 as a way of discovering possible areas the outlook ends up overlooking, but in this case that's why I play the local NWS forecasts. The only reason I'd do it is to prepare for the possibility for a longer drive the next day if better setups materialize elsewhere. As far as Day 3+, though, I think preforecasting of this sort is not useful for chasing for the most part (although it may be useful for a weatherman or local NWS forecaster).

One of the most simple and helpful means of obtaining crucial information that I've found is right here. I greatly respect certain members forecast and intuitions especialy on chase day. Alot of times I miss things that are right under my nose that get pointed out in a forecast thread.

I agree. I make no bones about using SPC, local WFOs and ST for my strategic choices. All of these organizations/groups have more experience and more importantly more time than I do to forecast. I made the decision that to ramp up my knowledge would require major life-and work-style choices that would not be attractive in a cost-benefit comparison.

So I: a) will always give credit where it's due and b) will never complain about a bust.

I have never been lied to by any chaser, be it someone on this board or not, and y'all have my eternal gratitude!

Thats a pretty nice and concise guide. I was actually just thinking yesterday that I need to get myself a white board with the US on it somehow. The only thing I disagree with is turning off the computer when you reach a decent storm. I would personally rather have my radar at that time for safety sake.

Thats a pretty nice and concise guide. I was actually just thinking yesterday that I need to get myself a white board with the US on it somehow. The only thing I disagree with is turning off the computer when you reach a decent storm. I would personally rather have my radar at that time for safety sake.

You could get a large map of the plains, and put a pane of glass over it and use your dry erase markers on that.

Yes, you definitely don't want to turn your laptop off, especially if you are using it for navigation. You also don't want to get too caught up in watching the radar though. If I'm on a good looking, discrete cell I stop watching the radar. You don't want to second guess your position or the storm's strength based on some data that or may not be good. Use your eyes.

Storm chase forecasting for novice chasers became much easier when the National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center (SPC) introduced their probabilistic forecasts. Just let the world experts at SPC do your chase forecasting for you. The 10% or greater probability of hail 2" or larger (blue hatched area on the "Probabilistic Large Hail Graphic") can be used as a proxy supercell forecast. Virtually all large (golfball-sized and larger) hail is produced by supercells. The tornado probability forecast graphic is self-explanatory!

Just drive to the upwind (usually western edge of the large hail/tornado outlook areas by mid-afternoon and wait for your storms. Then use your online or satellite radar ("fish finder") to track the storms. Of course, better trained/more experienced chasers still have the edge, but it's all much easier for the novice chaser than when I began chasing back in the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Back