5/13/05 TALK: Southern Plains

The southern beast is an HP now, and must be pretty darn messy. It has had a constant problem with stuff unzipping down its southwestern flank.

Gene and Hank are on the supercell that is currently crossing into Oklahoma from Hardeman county TX. They report that they got a couple of clicks of hail but got south of it just in time before the core. It looked EXCELLENT for a while, and is now on a downward trend. No tornado despite TVS algorithms all over the place. They are repositioning east on Hwy 287 and intend to take a look at it on their pass into OK again.

Today doesn't seem to be living up to previous expectations.....

KR

The southern cell is nearing seymore, tx. The terrain and roads are not ideal (I had a bust chase there last year).Be Carefull! I hope everyone is getting some awesome structure shots!

Originally posted by Jeff Lawson
That southern storm is probably chasing hordes of chasers down SR 6. Thankfully, it's a fast road (usually).

Agreed.

It looked so promising at its inception.

Hope somebody at least gets some good structure shots.....

KR

Well, report of a tornado now with the new meso on the SW flank of the storm. Visibility might be decent down there. The thing is, any chaser that stuck with the previous meso for too long as it occluded is probably enjoying the hail core at the moment.

Road options out of Haskell will present a problem. No easy way to stay ahead of the storm.

EDIT: Actually, the roads might work out after all. Given how hard the storm has turned, and given its tendency to backbuild, the SW jaunt out of Haskell on 277 wouldn't take you very far from the storm. Then, at Stamford, you jump on SR 6, blast SE to Leuders, and hit 180. As an extra, such a route vectors you away from the hail core. From there, continue east to Albany, and then drop south with the storm.

Not knowing what the storm looks like on the ground, I can't say what sort of view you'd get from the S or SW. It might offer surprisingly good contrast, as it places the bulk of the core behind the updraft. Depends on how wrapped up things are.

Back