04/20/05: TALK: Central/Southern/High Plains

Check out the 2 left-movers with anticyclonic hook echoes a couple counties N of the right-mover (sorry I don't have my TX counties memorized ;) )

**EDIT** Nevermind... we just got a wind tunnel affect between the buildings... winds are still NE... D- for field observations.. :oops:

LOL, Thought that sounded too good to be true.... :lol:

Latest Outlook:
http://midwestchase.com/wxforecasts/04_20_05-5.gif

Still have the MDT in S Nebraska and N/E Kansas, Hoping something will occur in this area within the next couple hours... Everything is still there, It's just gotta happen!

..Nick..

Neal Rasmussen just checked in about 15 minutes ago and he's NE of that Hall County storm. Despite the appearance it's showing on radar, Neal says it actually looks LP'ish. He was doing timelapse on it the last I heard. He's a decent distance from it, but apparently the view is great. He saw a bit of dust kicked up momentarily, but he doesn't think it was any type of tornadic activity.

I think he is trying to position a bit farther S and see what it does. The good thing is, repositioning on this cell should be pretty easy, as it's wobbling E at only about 5 mph.

Here's what it looked like just before the top of the hour:

880126352a49b7b62f9003f35523980d.png

Very nice storm!

**EDIT** Nevermind... we just got a wind tunnel affect between the buildings... winds are still NE... D- for field observations.. :oops:

LOL, Thought that sounded too good to be true.... :lol:

Latest Outlook:
http://midwestchase.com/wxforecasts/04_20_05-5.gif

Still have the MDT in S Nebraska and N/E Kansas, Hoping something will occur in this area within the next couple hours... Everything is still there, It's just gotta happen!

..Nick..

The guys in Omaha tend to agree with you, but so far they're pretty sure that the main threat tonight will be flooding due to the ultra-saturated air in my area. We'll see.

Be careful what ya wish for.....Western North Texas needs to keep an eye on new developement near Aspermont Texas...You can see things trying to fire in that area on radar and on VIS SAT.

Sorry to hear about the bust Tony. I like your new target. At least you get to see a P0-P2 but watch out for the debris. :lol:

Still watching the cells in SW OK. Looks like winds and hail will be the major threat so far. The TOR cell in Texas is just crawling along very slow.
Hopefully David is on that one.

Storms in SW OK still holding together nicely. NWS statement says winds associated with the storm around Altus, OK are hurricane force strength. (70-80mph) with possible baseball size hail in some areas. :D Headed towards right where I live.

I am eating diner here in Childress, TX presently (Sprint service here now yeah!) I was out for a while with that cell near Turkey. Roads in that county....well I think there are 2 total, maybe 3. Two e/w options, one that went far south, and the other that skirted right up next to that cell, so guess which one I decided to take?

A few new dents and some rather nasty winds later I managed to get out in front of it. Up to 2.5 inch hail. Did see a couple of wall clouds but I never saw the spotter reported funnel. I did see a couple of "spotter looking" vehicles just up the road from me.

There was some weird looking scud around and being pulled into the wall cloud, but it was no funnel. It was higher based, but not what I would really call HIGH based. Somewhere in between. Seemed to change from HP to LP and back again. Finally spun itself out. Went to check out the stuff east of Childress but it didn't look that great, and was getting dark, and wxworx decided it didn't have radar any more so I called it a day. 3rd chase now in the last 4 days with a half finished chase vehicle!

David, I just spoke briefly with Neal again earlier and he did confirm seeing a couple of funnels and wallcloud with that cell near Turkey. But he said he couldn't confirm the reported tornado but would review vid.

It's amazing that storm was able to do anything considering how high the base was. If it managed to nader, I'd be seriously impressed!

Anyway, just wanted to follow up my second hand report from earlier. Don't wanna clutter the thread with after the fact stuff.

BTW, I have a few radar images of that storm saved if anyone needs them later. Just drop me a PM.

-George

NC KS stuff isn't looking to bad.... With some rotation starting to pop up on radar with the cluster from Mankato to Belleville, Along with hail a bit larger then golfballs....

Storms are moving into a very favorable envirement, So this stuff could be alive for a while....

..Nick..

There are a couple of minor heat bursts beind reported by OK Mesonet sites, if anyone is interested... For example, Fairview saw a nice ~10 degree temperature drop just a while ago... Nice mesohigh as well in south-central OK, with general rapid 6-9mb pressure rises to the southwest of OKC.

Kanani and I were on the turkey storm for almost its whole life. We set up on hwy 70 about 6-7 miles north of Turkey at a rest stop. It was the highest point for about 20 miles so we had a great view. The rotation was great. The wall cloud was high based for a bit but lowered nicely NE of Turkey right as it started its best rotation. we caught 2 funnels near Tampeco but will have to review the tape to see if they touched down. Will post full report on thursday afternoon after some rest.
Here are a few pics from today anyway. Look closely at pic 685. look in front of that lowering to see the nicely shaped funnel coming down at a 45 degree angle.

P.S. I love how almost everybody but a few of us blew off this area as a good target. its called caprock magic. all you need is heat, moisture and a dryline with a small impulse coming through to have great storms but we did enjoy having the roads to ourselves with the exception of some tv spotters.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v652/tornado...il%2020%202005/

Look closely at pic 685. look in front of that lowering to see the nicely shaped funnel coming down at a 45 degree angle.

You suck dude. LOL Seriously though...what time was that funnel? I am wondering if it was prior to my arrival on the storm, because I didn't get on it until about an hour after it was going. Then at one point I got held back because the hail was getting too big even for me. Nice catch though, was a decent storm!

Back