Tropical Storm Delta

As it does not appear (at this time) that a CONUS strike is likely, I am placing this here instead of the MAP ROOM. Tropical Storm Delta has formed, but she is rather interesting.

THE 2005 ATLANTIC TROPICAL CYCLONE SEASON REFUSES TO END AS MODERATE TO DEEP CONVECTION HAS PERSISTED FOR MORE THAN 12 HOURS AND HAS WRAPPED ABOUT 75 PERCENT OF THE WAY AROUND THE CIRCULATION CENTER OF THE LARGE NON-TROPICAL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM LOCATED ABOUT 1000 NMI SOUTHWEST OF THE AZORES ISLANDS.

Sustained winds are near 60 MPH, and the talk is that this could briefly reach hurricane strength. This season has just been amazing. She is also forecast to do a complete 180 by this weekend and move back north.

I have just seen in the National Hurricane Center of NOAA a movement to Canary Islands is forecasted for the next days... Another tropical storm to the Iberian Peninsula? It is too early to believe 100% in this possibility but I can't stop being surprised this year :shock:

Canary Islands is under warning today for the arrival of DELTA, still as a tropical storm. Even in the last hours of yesterday night, it deeped to 982 hPa again, with winds around 70 MPH, near to hurricane category :shock: We will see the efects of DELTA in the Canary Islands.

I'm not sure, Justin....... Spanish TV news are talking this is the first time a tropical cyclon reaches the Canary Islands.

DELTA has caused a lot of damages there. Images on the TV news are ver impressive. Gusts of wind have reached up to 200 km/h in some high places, and upper than 150 km/h in some places at the sea level... Incredible...

Originally posted by Pedro C. Fernández
I'm not sure, Justin....... Spanish TV news are talking this is the first time a tropical cyclon reaches the Canary Islands.

DELTA has caused a lot of damages there. Images on the TV news are ver impressive. Gusts of wind have reached up to 200 km/h in some high places, and upper than 150 km/h in some places at the sea level... Incredible...

So it's a destructive hurricane now, a CAT5? :shock:

KM/hr, not mph. Impressive nonetheless, though I don't know how 'official' those obs are... I mean, If they are as good as "public" reports here in the US, then I'd be skeptical. :lol:

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
KM/hr, not mph. Impressive nonetheless, though I don't know how 'official' those obs are... I mean, If they are as good as \"public\" reports here in the US, then I'd be skeptical. :lol:

Well........ Stronger wind gusts were around 248 km/h (68,8 m/s), although the max. wind gusts surpassed 70 m/s, in Izaña, at 2.367 m.a.s.l. (data from our National Meteorology Institute, Instituto Nacional de Meteorología, INM).

Back