"Rendez-Vous in Tornado Alley" Season 2 - French Series !

Christophe,

Im continued to be impressed with each episode and thoroughly enjoy it. Thanks for taking the time to do the subtitles. I love how you get certain shots that most look over while chasing to be able to tell the whole story of the day. Very professional and great quality video and sound. I was wondering what do you use to get the quality sound to that you do from the Gopro and well as the conversation while chasing. Is it all the boom mics on the camera?

Thank you again guys for your friendly comments.

Christophe,

Im continued to be impressed with each episode and thoroughly enjoy it. Thanks for taking the time to do the subtitles. I love how you get certain shots that most look over while chasing to be able to tell the whole story of the day. Very professional and great quality video and sound. I was wondering what do you use to get the quality sound to that you do from the Gopro and well as the conversation while chasing. Is it all the boom mics on the camera?

As for the in-car sounds, we had a portable audio recorder directly plugged to the Gopro mini-jack input. We put it on the dashboard with a windcreen :

74-9951_01.jpg

It was not ideal though, because it's not close enough to our mouths (especially the one seated at the back!) so we don't always have a neat recording. Sometimes I have to go back and forth between our camera microphones (Rode videomic pro) and the Zoom H4N while editing, to get the best sound available. The Zoom was also really battery consuming with a change needed every two days.

Finally got around to watching the first six episodes of season 2. Compared to Discovery's Storm Chasers, this series is missing several things: manufactured drama, endless repetition of the same shots and information, and cheesy sound effects. Sure you guys don't have the big budget and production crew, but I like the style and format of your series much better. Seriously nice job guys. The storm shots are rich and engaging, the content is interesting and educational for general audiences, and the chasing is presented in a much more realistic manner.

My van made a brief cameo at 18:10 in episode 6. I looked for you guys in my shots, but I had the cameras pointed up off the road at the time. Great job, guys. Looking forward to the next episode and hope to see you out there this spring.

Thanks for the comment Skip. It means a lot coming from a guy that makes such interesting and thorough videos as you do!
Indeed we knew it was you at 18:10, as we recognized your famous van with it's video dome. Too bad we didn't have much time to chat with people during this chase.

Unfortunately we probably won't be there in 2014 as this is time and money consuming, especially when you come from Europe, but 2015 sounds like a sure deal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing, this is superb in many respects and I think it really captures the essence of chasing. I can relate to so many of the experiences you’ve documented and emotions that were conveyed, from my perspective as a fellow chaser this is a very enjoyable production. I look forward to more episodes and wish you good luck on your next expedition!

Any plans for DVDs of these episodes or a condensed version? You might find a receptive market.

Another episode that did not disappoint. I look forward to a new release when ever I log on to StormTrack. Top notch web series and impressive editing as always. Keep up the good work. My vehicle also made an appearance in episode 5 at the gas station in Texas. Got sand blasted trying to fill up. How many more episodes are you planning to release for season 2?

Season 2 is turning out great! I've been really looking forward to your May 28th footage since you posted the teaser image. We're almost there!

With all the cameras and the amount of coverage you get each day, how many GBs of footage do you end up having after a typical day? I bet its gotta be pushing 200.

My vehicle also made an appearance in episode 5 at the gas station in Texas. Got sand blasted trying to fill up. How many more episodes are you planning to release for season 2?

Thanks Jeff! It's funny how everyone makes an appearance at some point in the series.
I've planned 11 episodes for the season. Five more to go!

Season 2 is turning out great! I've been really looking forward to your May 28th footage since you posted the teaser image. We're almost there!

With all the cameras and the amount of coverage you get each day, how many GBs of footage do you end up having after a typical day? I bet its gotta be pushing 200.

I hope you won't be desappointed by our Bennington footage. I really think we had a unique perspective on that tornado.

As for the amount of footage, I'd say there was at least 100GBs for every typical good chase day. In total, I ended up with more than 3Tb after six weeks of chasing (good thing that hard drives are quite cheap in the US!). It doesn't take into account the interviews we made afterwards to tell the story of every chase (some of them shot while still in the US but the other half when we were back in France).

Back