Chase Case #1

I'm liking where I am at (Emporia), but seeing the Cu firing out west makes me want to drift back to my original location: Florence, KS. There are good north, south, east, and west options there. Game on!

Storms just to my north and west, with the leader of the pack northeast of me now severe-warned. But they're moving fast, and meanwhile, here's this convective blob in NE Wabaunsee/NW Shawnee Counties that could develop, eat the others' lunches, and become the main player. So right now, I'm watching it. With convection initiating to my southwest and the whole region looking to light up, I'll see what happens with this cell, with an eye on shuttling south or just hanging tight as more storms form.

Today looks like shooting fish in a barrel in a huge swath of the central CONUS. For that matter, maybe I should be trying my luck down Mexico way. Chaser convergence down there probably isn't much of a problem.

With storm motions at 40, no way I'm turning the corner on the NE Kansas cells. Jogging over to Paxico, KS to wait for stuff to fire farther down the line.

I'm gonna stop just SW of town here in Hiawatha, KS and watch that severe warned storm come in. It looks like there's nice separation between it and the other cells so I should be able to move down the line if one those becomes dominant or when they hit the MO river.

Im sitting just south of Hiawatha right off of Hwy 75 on a dirt road that I found watching the storm come in. Im gonna wait it out til it gets to me and move along with it if its still looking good.

Didn't have a chance to check & reply until now, so I committed to a course on the 1830-1959Z Update before looking at the 2000-2100Z Update.

1830-1950Z
Making the 50 minute drive north to Holton, KS. Will be ready to take Hwy 116 W to near Onaga to position along convection line. However if convection blossoming NE of Onaga takes over and looks sturdy by the time I'm at Holton, I will continue N on 75 and navigate to intercept it instead.

2000-2100Z
Severe warned cell about to cross Hwy 75 at border of Jackson and Brown County. Close enough that I'll continue north on 75 to intercept. If it does not look promising, will be very ready to head back down to 116 and then west toward vigorous development toward Onaga/Westmoreland.

Being in Marion, KS from the previous update, it looks like I'm sitting a bit to the east of a new tower going up near McPherson, KS. Seems like I'm in a pretty good spot for now, but given the expected northeasterly storm motions, I will mosey up U.S. 77/56 towards Herrington, KS so that I can turn east on U.S. 56 and stay with it, should this storm turn into something big. If not, I can jump back down 77 and go for the next storm down the line or just retreat back down to Newton.

Would like to see some surface observations... for some reason they're not updating... and my Kestrel is broke ... and I cant tell which way the wind is blowing. Still, I can see the nice cu field directly to my west. Going to hang out in Hebron, NE a bit longer. ... but I'm starting to get antsy.

Yes, sorry guys I forgot to add it... I was running out the door to get to a wake.... I posted the C and S Plains in the original post!

Back