Chase Case #1

Heading a little north and east from Clinton, OK to Enid, OK I want to be into the deeper moisture and closer to anything that forms along the KS/OK state line.

Looking at visible satellite I am going to refrain from dropping down into Oklahoma at the moment. The cu field in Oklahoma shows substantial capping is still in place. The dryline is now mixing through western Oklahoma. It appears the more immediate convective development is going to be confined to areas north of the Kansas turnpike. For that reason I am going to head back up to the outskirts of Wichita, KS. While SPC is predicting armageddon in MO/IA, low-level flow remains backed further to the west in OK/KS attm. I assume the surface winds over MO/IA will back later in the day, however if a storm gets going in south-central Kansas I think it will be quite spectacular.

Its been a long day here in Tonkawa, OK and it doesn't look like its going to end anytime soon. Conditions are favorable over west central Oklahoma and southern Kansas and I am in a great spot should something fire. Staying put and waiting (hoping) for initiation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to leave Clinton, OK and continue N and E. I'll wave hello to Verne as I pass through Enid and assess the situation from Tonkawa, OK. Good road options, and the cap should be ready to break at any moment. It does look nice up on the northern play though...

Moving from Pittsburg to Fredonia with an eye on a North or South possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still happy with my location of Florence, KS...but I think I might meander about 45 miles east over to Emporia, KS. There are some decent road options there. I'm liking the nice backed winds there as well.

Going to make the 45 mile jump north from Ottawa, KS. Head to Perry, KS east of Topeka to check out the new cells up close. Should hopefully be able to be somewhere near there by 20:45Z

I'm holding my ground in Emporia, KS for now. I'm liking the backed winds here. I'm trying not to be tempted with the northern stuff right now. Hopefully the cap will break here soon and I'll be chasing something good in SE KS today!

After a little more review of the TOP sounding at 18z, I'm guessing the cells in NE KS will have a more northerly component(even if right moving) to the track than I was thinking at my last post, I may have to push past Perry, KS to the north up somewhere near Horton, KS. It's another 50ish miles, so I'll try to haul it within reasonable bounds to get up to the cells by 21:30Z(ish)

Really glad i drove to Fairview, KS eariler. I will be remaining here for a bit since good road options and watch development. Starting to look good

Back