Chase Case #1

WF is pushing northward, covering SE third of KS. Rich plume of surface moisture coincident with the WF is pushing into the same area. Cumulus field on satellite seems to mark this well. Topeka sounding is encouraging. Surface low has propagated NE from around Woodward, OK to Hutchinson, KS.

Moving 45 minutes NW to Carbondale, KS to be ready to move N/S on US 75 depending on where initiation takes place.

Think I'll move up to Emporia, KS and say hello to Brandon. Hope is storms will fire to the WNW, and that I can meet them as they mature.

From late morning developments, I had moved from Columbia north to Kirksville, MO, for lunch. I will hang here for a little while. Initiation is still several hours off and I don't want to be too far west or north yet.

EDIT: Liking the wind fields, SKEW-T/hodos and vis sat in eastern KS as well as the position of the low pressure center in Kansas.

Slid west to St. Joseph, MO to meet up with Skip and Randy and await data.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hanging out with Skip and Corey in St Joseph, probably going over my road options with the thought of heading into KS. I am attempting to get my stream working with no luck and my ATT card is giving me a weak signal as always. I am also irked that a line of storms is about to nuke my home city, but it appears I will see more later in the day anyways.

Getting a late start on this one and just looking at everything now. Put me in Holton, KS after looking at the 12z data and moving south to Burlington, KS after looking at the afternoon data. Liking the vis sat and moisture down that way and on my way to eat some good luck Wendy's for a late lunch.

Like others, I like the TOP sounding as well as the sfc winds south of I-70. Here's to my house getting rick rolled along with Adam's.

Think I might push east from Wichita just a bit and sit in El Dorado, Kansas. Should be there by 1900. Really liking the backed winds here in SE and Central Kansas. Hopefully I get some initiation near here so I can make a play on them early in the game. Will wait here until next update.

I'm gonna wait till the SPC puts out an MD and flock to it with the rest of the leachers/SPC chasers.

Kidding....I'm gonna move south out of Salina and set up at the intersection of Hwy 50 & 77, to the NE of Newton, KS.

I am dropping south from Salina, KS to Wellington, KS. I am considering continuing south into north-central Oklahoma, however I have concerns about the strength of the cap per OUN 18z sounding. With that said, low-level winds have veered substantially over southwest Oklahoma with pronounced veering over central/northern Oklahoma. That zone of enhanced convergence is promising.

After getting Steak 'n Shake in Olathe, I'm rolling into Emporia, KS and looking for the chaser convergence. And hoping like hell I don't have to get on the Turnpike.

Sorry, just got home from the Chiefs game lol.

I am holding in St. Joseph for just a bit longer with thoughts of moving just a bit West or Southwest. Will wait for another update before committing to moving though.

Back