Chase Case #1

I'm going to stay in Amarillo, get breakfast and check for updated data.

I'm pretty satisfied with my initial target, I'm liking the veering winds. But I think I'm going to mosey a bit East towards Medford on highway 11 and see if I can see any signs of the tornado we caught on May 10. I'll have highway 81 to head NE if need be.

Time to mosey northeast up the Kansas Turnpike. I'm going to hunker down under the cumulus field by exit 147 (I-335 and US 56), maybe grab a burger in the town of Admire 4 miles to my west.

No rest for me. I'm still on the road and by 18z I should be in ICT. After making a quick stop, I'm looking at the 18z data. Looks like this entire area is primed for severe weather. I'm going to dart up the turnpike and hang out in Emporia, KS until initiation. I'm loving the wind fields in this area, and this area has been baking in the sun since this morning. And the mesoscale is building my confidence in this area. Big change from my initial target, but I guess that's the advantage of driving the morning of.

Still enjoying the smell of grass here in Tonkawa, Ok. I briefly thought about moving north but have since decided to stay put and monitor the dryline situation in Western Oklahoma for a bit longer. Good road options for a quick move if need be.

Danny, I'd really appreciate if you get the new 20Z update before 21Z of today (after I go to bed:D)! Thanks a lot man!

I hope for Danny's sake that he's out chasing instead of updating the chase case!

Danny... if you can hear this ... we'll wait for ya', buddy!!

Tahnks for getting this started!

I know I'm late to the table on this one, and not so sure how far behind I am, but I'll start in Salina KS awaiting further updates.

Edit: Looking over 18z data, I'm holding in Salina, KS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the delay.....

Had work from 7-1 today was on my way home to change and grab my chasing gear when somebody hit me pulling out from their driveway. I am fine, my car is in so-so shape. But now that I am home, I will compile the 1930-2000z update.

Sorry about the delay.....

Had work from 7-1 today was on my way home to change and grab my chasing gear when somebody hit me pulling out from their driveway. I am fine, my car is in so-so shape. But now that I am home, I will compile the 1930-2000z update.

Sorry to hear that, especially considering there were tornadoes in Illinois today. Looking forward to the update. I am curious as to how far off I am at this point.

Bob: Unfortunately I couldn't find an 18z sounding from ICT. I have found some from around that area but those were back at 12z.

-----1830-1959Z UPDATE -----

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 125 PM CDT

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST COLORADO NORTHWEST KANSAS SOUTHWEST NEBRASKA EFFECTIVE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 125 PM UNTIL 800 PM CDT. TORNADOES...HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 205 PM CDT THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN IOWA CENTRAL AND EASTERN KANSAS NORTHERN AND WESTERN MISSOURI SOUTHEASTERN NEBRASKA EFFECTIVE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 205 PM UNTIL 1100 PM CDT. ...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION... DESTRUCTIVE TORNADOES...LARGE HAIL TO 4 INCHES IN DIAMETER... THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 80 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0212 PM CDT
AREAS AFFECTED...S CNTRL KS/N CNTRL OK INTO W CNTRL TX
CONCERNING...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM POTENTIAL TRENDS ARE BEING CLOSELY MONITORED FOR ISSUANCE OF ONE OR MORE WWS WHICH LIKELY WILL BE NEEDED BY THE 21-22Z TIME FRAME.
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0248 PM CDT
AREAS AFFECTED...SRN WI/NRN IL
CONCERNING...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH ...

FORWARD PROPAGATING SEVERE CLUSTER...WITH HISTORY OF WIND
DAMAGE...WILL CONTINUE TO IMPACT THE CHICAGO METRO/NORTH SUBURBS IN THE SHORT TERM.
DISCUSSION...APPROACH OF STRONG S/WV TROUGH OVER CENTRAL HIGH PLAINS AND AVAILABILITY OF EXTREMELY UNSTABLE AIR MASS WITH MLCAPES TO NEAR 4000 J/KG WILL LEAD TO RAPID DEVELOPMENT OF TORNADIC SUPERCELLS REMAINDER OF AFTERNOON INTO THIS EVENING ACROSS WRN PORTION OF WATCH AREA. STORMS WILL SPREAD EWD INTO MO/SRN IA BY THIS EVENING. IN ADDITION TO VERY LARGE HAIL THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR STRONG...LONG TRACK TORNADOES
Radar:
N. Plains
C. Plains
S. Plains
Midwest

Satellite:
N. Plains
C. Plains
S. Plains
Midwest

Surface:
N. Plains
C. Plains
Midwest
S. Plains
Alright ladies and gentlemen.... it is all visual now! Towers have sprouted in multiple areas. You have all made your targets time to see if you can keep up with action. Barring my house exploding tonight (who knows with the luck I have been having) I will update this tomorrow!

Get after it!

Back