Chase Case #1

Definitely glad I am in the area!

Going to leave Emporia and head just a touch North toward Council Grove, KS

Last edited by a moderator:
There go the towers! Heading north out of Admire, KS, toward Paxico with the intention of checking out developing storms. You can put me down in Paxico if you need a location for me, but realistically, things are popping and I'm mobile and heading for the action. Not sure exactly where that is yet, but I'll know before long. May need to nudge west just a bit.

Uh-oh, a PDS Watch! Time to go home! LOL Just kiddin ;)

Im going to move west to Hiawatha, KS. I will be there in about 30-40 minutes which gives the storms goin up in Northeast KS some time to grow. Reason I chose heading west to Hiawatha is so I can get on the cells just starting in Northeast KS or get on any storms that get going in Southeast Neb. if any do wind up popping up. Its noodle time!!! :D

Oh, we have initiation in KS, which is better than MO! I'm going to try and follow Randy Cooper to Hiawatha, KS but not too close so he doesn't realize I'm following him. ;)

At 1930Z, I'm just finishing up my lunch at Lollipops in Hebron, Nebraska. I have the sick filling of indecision in my stomach, unfortunately as I'm caught between two targets.

The low to the west is getting pretty wound up and is much closer to home. That certainly has my attention. However, towers already popping in the high CAPE area in Kansas are pulling equally.

Then again, the winds are out of the SSE here, it's 77/63 and there is a cu field directly to the west.

Hate to say it... but I think I'm going to sit tight for a little while... depending on how far way the next update is.

I'm going to resist the urge to race off into northeast KS as it would likely mean chasing from behind all day. Instead going to move 50 miles east on I-70 to Junction City, KS to monitor things and be ready to move south as things start to pop.

2000z-2100z UPDATE: ...OUTBREAK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS AND TORNADOES IS FORECAST TO
BEGIN THIS AFTERNOON AND PERSIST INTO THE EVENING HOURS OVER
PORTIONS OF THE LOWER AND MID MISSOURI VALLEY REGION...

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 315 PM CDT

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF WISCONSIN EFFECTIVE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 315 PM UNTIL 1000 PM CDT. TORNADOES...HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 80 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 330 PM CDT THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF SOUTH CENTRAL KANSAS WESTERN AND CENTRAL OKLAHOMA EFFECTIVE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 330 PM UNTIL 1100 PM CDT. ...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION... DESTRUCTIVE TORNADOES...LARGE HAIL TO 4 INCHES IN DIAMETER... THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 80 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.
AREAS AFFECTED...SW INTO CNTRL NEB
CONCERNING...TORNADO WATCH ...

CONTINUE WW.

VIGOROUS CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT CONTINUES TO THE NORTHWEST OF NORTH
PLATTE...SUPPORTED BY STRONG FORCING NORTHEAST OF CYCLONIC VORTICITY
CENTER. UPPER FEATURE MAY REDEVELOP NORTHEASTWARD INTO THE VICINITY
OF NORTH PLATTE WITHIN NEXT HOUR OR TWO...WITH STRONGER UPWARD
VERTICAL MOTION FIELD SUPPORTING CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT INTO AREAS
NORTHEAST OF NORTH PLATTE. MIXED LAYER CAPE IS NOW IN EXCESS OF 500
J/KG ACROSS THIS AREA...AND INCREASES EASTWARD TOWARD BROKEN BOW...
WHERE SURFACE DEW POINTS ARE NOW AROUND 60F. GIVEN INCREASINGLY
FAVORABLE THERMODYNAMIC ENVIRONMENT...POTENTIAL FOR LARGE HAIL/
ISOLATED TORNADOES SHOULD INCREASE LATE THIS AFTERNOON.
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 350 PM THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF NORTHWEST AND WEST CENTRAL TEXAS EFFECTIVE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 350 PM UNTIL 1100 PM CDT. TORNADOES...HAIL TO 4 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 80 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.
LIVE CHASE:

1cplainssfc.jpg

1splainssfc.jpg

2030sat.jpg

2030sat2.jpg

2000radar.jpg

2000radar2.jpg

2015radar.jpg

311 PM CDT THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TOPEKA HAS ISSUED A * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR... SOUTHERN BROWN COUNTY IN NORTHEAST KANSAS NORTHERN JACKSON COUNTY IN NORTHEAST KANSAS SOUTHEASTERN NEMAHA COUNTY IN NORTHEAST KANSAS * UNTIL 400 PM CDT * AT 309 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR CIRCLEVILLE...OR ABOUT 28 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HIAWATHA...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH. * LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... WETMORE... NETAWAKA... WHITING... KICKAPOO RESERVATION... HORTON... POWHATTAN... WILLIS... EVEREST...
...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING CONTINUES UNTIL 400 PM CDT FOR WEST CENTRAL BROWN COUNTY... AT 347 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO INDICATE A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 4 MILES WEST OF POWHATTAN...OR ABOUT 10 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HIAWATHA...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on a surface map!

Based on the data provided, no sense in trying to get after the stuff to my north and east as storm motions are to fast vs where I am. I am however watching the area to my south and west as it appears initiation is underway. So for the moment, hanging in Junction City, KS and watching motions and radar as I may need to move a touch east or south to meet up with action as it develops.

Back