Alltel offers unlimted mobile broadband (500kb/s+) for $25 a month

No, not if you have one of the newer plans, they are included in it. If you have an older plan I believe you can still get the free roaming option for an extra $5.00
Around the Lubbock area I could not get roaming data before this year. Since the Alltel agreements I can roam on data now as well as phone.

EDIT: I should note that is for phones. From what I understand with the datacard the roaming is included if it connects. TV station pays for my datacard so I never see the bill, but I am quite sure as much as I used it on roaming if they were charging for it I would have heard about it by now. LOL

It appears as if I will be giving a Sprint PCS store a visit soon :D I even get a 10% discount off Sprint through work. I might as well keep my Verizon voice plan as it covers everywhere on the plains/midwest without roaming charges.

I have the Alltell Mobile Broadband. Now there is a lot of tricks and deals that yall need to know.......You can by the K PC Card that will connect you to the internet anywhere and free up your phone. The card cost roughly $100 bucks and a little over $70 a month. Now the trick with the other option is you can us your Alltell Cell phone as a modem. In order to do this, you must already have a alltell account and have at least the $49.00 a month plan. They add the internet plan to your cell phone bill for $25 extra a month. You must also buy the $30 data cable that connects the phone to your lap top. All together this sums it up:

Non Alltell members:
$119.00-----PC Card
$25.00------Activation Fee
$70.00------Monthly Fee

Alltell Wireless Members:
$30.00------Data Cable
$25.00------Activation Fee
$25.00------ Extra month fee for internet

Now then, here is where they get ya and don't tell ya.
If you decide to use your existing phone for a modem, you need to realize that you can not use your phone and internet at the same time. For example, if you are looking at Radar images on the internet, You will not be able to recieve or make any calls during that time frame.

Also, they tell ya that it is Unlimited Nation Wide Broadband Coverage...It is not!!!!!! There are some areas in Oklahoma and Southern Kansas that is Roaming!!!!!!! If you get into one of these areas, it is like 5 cents a minute!!!!. Ask about this before committing to it.

If anyone has any questions, please ask and I will be able to help.

I use my motorola razr phone with Alltel's services, with the unlimited data plan. I was connected 99 percent of the time on February 24th and answered calls while staying connected. Maybe it's other phones??

After several weeks of extensively researching this topic, I finally decided to switch from Verizon to Alltel. I just called them to sign up and...

They do NOT offer service in Austin, TX! What the hell? Looks like I am back to my limited (and more expensive) options with Verizon...

Very frustrating...

TonyC
Drive up to Temple/Belton and sign up here... I have had a couple of friends do that in the past...

I also added GPSGate this afternoon... I had Street Atlas, Topo and GRL3 all being driven by the one old Garmin GPS II... Next out APRS and a couple of other on the road programs.... I am in NERD heaven...

APRS (UIView) will put a little more strain on the connection, as will RealEmwin...

TOYS TOYS TOYS... I LOVE THEM...

I will be going over there on Monday to ask some questions and move my wife's phone to my account... I will ask if you haven't found out by then...

The $49 thing is wrong. I just made the switch to Alltel and only got the $39 plan. You can recieve calls while surfing, you just can't pull any more data at the time you answer, so that is clear. Not a big deal. You don't even have to disconnect and reconnnect. You just answer the phone and hang up when you are done. I thought you could even pull data while you talked, but just tried two pages and neither would load till I hung up.

Also, they tell ya that it is Unlimited Nation Wide Broadband Coverage...It is not!!!!!! There are some areas in Oklahoma and Southern Kansas that is Roaming!!!!!!! If you get into one of these areas, it is like 5 cents a minute!!!!. Ask about this before committing to it.

Anyone ever experienced this extra 5 cent a minute fee, how do you distinguish between roaming areas and non-roaming areas? Also they never mentioned anything about an activation fee, maybe it will just be one of those things that show up on the bill.

The $49 thing is wrong. I just made the switch to Alltel and only got the $39 plan. You can recieve calls while surfing, you just can't pull any more data at the time you answer, so that is clear. Not a big deal. You don't even have to disconnect and reconnnect. You just answer the phone and hang up when you are done. I thought you could even pull data while you talked, but just tried two pages and neither would load till I hung up.

Cingular works the same way on my RAZR as far as the data stoppage. Bites that you can't talk while using it! At least you don't get the headache of a disconnection every time someone calls you during a chase!

Cingular works the same way on my RAZR as far as the data stoppage. Bites that you can't talk while using it! At least you don't get the headache of a disconnection every time someone calls you during a chase!

it's not that way when you are in a 3G area

You must also buy the $30 data cable that connects the phone to your lap top.

No you don't -- not if you use a Motorola phone that uses as USB cord to connect. Many of the new ones do. In that case, you just get a USB cable and download the drivers from the other thread I started and you're good to go.

The internet connection does stop when you use the phone for voice, but the computer registers as being "connected" still -- it just won't get any data until you hang up. So you usually don't have to redial, at least not in my experience.

Back